Anchor rode issue

Rustygaff

Reaction score
I recently installed a new Lewmar V700 windlass. I purchased 230' of 8-plait spliced to 20' of 1/4" G4 chain from Defender since they are close by and have a good reputation for quality anchor rodes and dock lines.
I soaked the line for several day prior to install. During the install, the rope fed flawlessly but jammed at the splice which was pretty stiff. I "worked" the splice by bending it in every direction trying to loosen it up so it becomes more pliable. I started running the splice through the winch and it would hang up maybe 40 to 50% of the time. With all of the line in the locker, I still have at least 12" of drop space left.
Does anyone know if the Lewmar branded rode would feed any better than the Defender house rode? Thanks.

Attachments

• splice.JPG
    splice.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 307

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Looks like a damn good splice. Can't imagine any better with the same size 8 plait rode.
Is that the size & type rode that Lewmar recommends?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That looks like a decent splice. I find that when I'm hauling anchor I will stop when the splice approaches the gypsy and jog the switch as the splice makes the turn. Even still, it hangs once in a while. Back down a little and do it again. I think it's an inherent issue but I'd rather have the plaited line versus the 3 strand.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Defender is a price-point joint. But I've never used their rope so I can't/won't comment on it's quality. But Lewmar's rope or NE Rope would be high quality rope. On the other hand, the V700 (I used to have one) is just an "average" windlass. So it's hard to say what is the culrpit here. When you say "jammed", is it slipping? Maybe the finger spring is worn - try carefully pushing on it. How deep is your anchor locker "fall"? For comparison, I had a 26' Sundancer that I installed the V700 on, with 300' of 1/2" 3-strand and 50' of 1/4" G4. I did my own splice and never had an issue - that locker had 36" of fall.

I agree, though, the splice looks nice - but maybe it needs a thinned AND tapered splice. But, try soaking it in fabric softener, first.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Took a ride over to Defender to compare the "house" splice to Lewmar's rode. The difference I found was that Defender coats the splice with an anti-chafe substance which makes it very stiff. The "rope guy" there brought out a boxed Lewmar rode for me to look at. The splice was very pliable and supple where it appears it would have no problem making it around the capstan and going down the rabbit hole. I may bite the bullet and switch to the Lewmar rode. This is what I get for trying to save a 100 bucks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, is that what that blue stuff is? A rubberized coating? I just thought it was some kind of dye/paint. Yeah, get rid of that - that's no good for a windlass. The actual rope that Lewmar uses is likely a better quality, too. I have also seen differences in how well the braiding stays in a "braid" over time from cheaper rope to better rope.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lay that splice out on a block of wood and hammer it with a heavy wooden mallet or a hard rubber hammer. A plastic dead-blow hammer will work too. Hammer all up and down the splice, turning it a bit and hammering some more. Don't be bashful, hit it smartly. It will soften the splice and if you can apply tension while you hammer it will actually reduce the diameter slightly as the strands and filaments will nest into the voids better. By tension I'm talking about what you could apply with a 1 1/2 ton chain come-along or similar. What an earlier poster said about tapering the splice is very good advice. It's good practice to just cut off that splice and do your own. After 3 tucks start tapering about 20% per tuck and it will look sweet. To be fair to the windlass maker though, if you chose the max diameter line that will feed through that particular gypsy then you shouldn't expect it to swallow an eye splice in that line as you are exceeding the specs of the equipment. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Rustygaff said:
Defender coats the splice with an anti-chafe substance which makes it very stiff.

JEEZ, WHY???

I would try Halfhitch's suggestion. If that doesn't work, you could cut it and re-splice it. Plenty of videos on Youtube and I learned to do a decent enough job after a few tries. Marking the pairs with a sharpie makes it easier.

I replaced my anchor line a couple of years ago when I discovered it was 5/8 instead of 1/2 plait. Seco South has a good product. Windlass had a hard time swallowing the bigger line. I now use it with my fishing anchor when I want to fish on a ball. Spliced in a loop after watching videos. Also bought a extra 200' of 1/2" plait from Seco South and spliced loops to extend my rode if I need to. Not a bad skill to learn... Buy a set of Fids!!!