Anchor rope and chain

wbdenamur

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size anchor rope and chain is needed to replace the original one on
a Grady White 2003 Marlin windlass? I know it is specific but can't find it on the unit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have 30' feet of chain and 300' of line. Rule of thumb is chain equivalent to length of boat. Not sure if you can fit more line in the locker. I know I am close to full but never have had an issue.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The sizing is usually printed on the gypsy. Try looking again - or look up your model on the net. Some models have interchangeable gypsy's, though, so it's best to find the markings on the unit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't understand your question. A few things that may help:

Many had a Lewmar Simpson Lawrence Sprint 600 Model RC0761 (my 06 did). Documentation for the American model recommends:
1/2" 3 strand rope.
Chain measurement is determined from the diameter of the nubs that grab the chain to retrieve or lower. The circular nub diameter is call dimension "D". Chain loops look like an oval race car track. Picture laying the chain in front of you across the table from left to right so that the largest OD is sided-to-side and the smaller is top-to-bottom. The outer diameter of the chain (shortest measurement top to bottom) is "W". W=3.5xD. The inner diameter of the chain (longest measurement side to side is "P" P=3xD. P+21.3mm and D = 1/4".

This is from Lewmar. https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/fi ... _guide.pdf

If this doesn't make sense and you have the model described above, shoot me a PM with your cell phone. I'll take a picture of the info and send it to you.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You need to use what is recommended for your windlass.

I have a Lewmar V700 windlass
300 feet of 1/2 inch plaited rope (plated will allow more to fit in your locker as it is softer and lays down better)
30 feet of 1/4 inch G4 chain (you can probably get away with 15 but 1 foot per foot of boat length is typical)

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Once you determine the model of your windlass, go with the 8-plait rode of the proper size. Works so much better than the standard three strand. Less jamming and lays better in the locker.

lgusto

Reaction score
I agree in concept with the recommendation for plaited 8 strand but a word to the wise. I spent a fortune on Yale Cordage's product and it never worked in my Lewmar Profish 700 windlass. The windlass constantly picked apart the small strands and jammed. I worked with Yale Cordage for a month trying to figure out the problem to no avail. Changed the gypsy head, tried everything. Maybe it was just the Yale brand, which has an extremely "soft hand" and usually a big plus.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread, but I just bought an '01 265 Express, it has a Horizon 600 series Windlass. This is my first boat with a Windlass. Prior owner never had the correct size line so the Windlass only dropped and he had to manually retrieve the anchor line.No big deal to him as he just anchored occasionally in shallow water.
I want to get this thing working correctly, any suggestions on what size/type chain and line should I use on this Windlass? I want to be able to anchor both shallow and deep water (coastal wrecks)
TIA,
SeaVee

Fishtales

Reaction score
SeaVee said:
Not to highjack this thread, but I just bought an '01 265 Express, it has a Horizon 600 series Windlass. This is my first boat with a Windlass. Prior owner never had the correct size line so the Windlass only dropped and he had to manually retrieve the anchor line.No big deal to him as he just anchored occasionally in shallow water.
I want to get this thing working correctly, any suggestions on what size/type chain and line should I use on this Windlass? I want to be able to anchor both shallow and deep water (coastal wrecks)
TIA,
SeaVee

Check this thread out...
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... -here.html

lgusto

Reaction score
SeaVee said:
TIA,
SeaVee

Get the manufacturer's spec and buy 20' of that line. Tie it to your anchor and chain in shallow water and see if the windlass retrieves it properly. That will tell you for sure....and it's really the only way. Once you've found the right fit buy the amount of rode you really want. And you can use the original 20' of line in lots of ways.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
SeaVee said:
TIA,
SeaVee

"NOT" to hi-jack? Isn't this the exact definition of hi-jack? :) Did you read through the other posts in this thread... there are answers to your question there.

Fishtales

Reaction score
lgusto said:
SeaVee said:
TIA,
SeaVee

Get the manufacturer's spec and buy 20' of that line. Tie it to your anchor and chain in shallow water and see if the windlass retrieves it properly. That will tell you for sure....and it's really the only way. Once you've found the right fit buy the amount of rode you really want. And you can use the original 20' of line in lots of ways.

I'd say this is the best advice so far. You could go talk to a dealer that has a lot of GWs around. I'm sure they could help as well.

fishfinder6

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Can anyone tell me what weight size anchor should I buy for 1989 Grady Marlin? Looking for a plow anchor.

seasick

Reaction score
It's not that simple. Selecting an appropriate anchor is affected by the sea conditions you need to anchor in and to an extent the makeup of the sea floor. We could discuss this topic forever but you will be better served by reading up on anchor selection. Search for 'choosing the correct anchor' on the web and you will gets lots of info.