Another Bottom Growth Question:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Reading and responding to Cregan's and Lt. Mikes marine growth queries, I have one of my own: It seemed impolite to clog up their threads, so here goes:

Before Covid-19, we were planning on running our Marlin up the East Coast from Fla. Maybe NYC, on up the Hudson; there's no destination per say. I have a Ceramic Coating on the bottom. It helps, but is no substitute for real bottom paint.

If we take this trip in the future, how much marine growth would I accumulate during the journey even though the boat will be moving during the day? Unless sidelined by bad weather, the boat would not sit in a marina for more than a night or two at a time.There would be long idle zones, I suppose, and low bridge delays, but the boat would be on plane the majority of the time with nightly stops in marinas or favorable anchorages.

If y'all's consensus is that it would be significant, I'll consider painting the hull, as I'm pretty obsessive about keeping the boat clean and I don't want to take on a gradual performance hit enroute.

Thanks.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did regularly last summer in Michigan; When you've acquired your Medicare Card and your upside down underwater scrubbing away, that 30 ft hull stretches to Eternity....

Thanks for the reply and all your contributions on here. Knowledgeable guys like you who share experience are valuable to this site.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

seasick

Reaction score
I would expect very little growth in a day or two but after hauling you have to scrub or powerwash the hull. A good waxing will help reduce slime and staining buildup.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Seasick:

As mentioned above, I have a Ceramic Coating on the hull to mitigate growth; it doesn't stop it from grabbing on, but it makes it easy to clean. Stuff costs about $300.00 for a little bottle and I pay to have it applied while the boat is getting engine service. My incredibly talented Detailer buffs it as well. Looks like the topsides when he's done.

I was curious if the regular thru-the-water movement from cruising would help keep the hull clean, but I guess over time it doesn't matter. Boats are not meant to be in the water unless they're running thru it.

I guess if we make that run North, I'll just get her painted. That'll be thousands but nothing compared to the fuel bill at 1.3 MPG by the time we get to Lady Liberty from Fla.

Same kudos I gave to Skunk goes to you as well. You've helped countless people on here. Stay safe.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In a short answer, yes, moving through the water every day will greatly inhibit growth. What happens is a biological succession. First, a biofilm composed of marine bacteria and algae needs to form. If this slime isn't sloughed off by moving water, larger algae, barnacles, and bivalves will take hold to the biofilm. As long as you don't let the boat sit for more than a day or two, you will be fine.

I once kept an unpainted hull in Eel Pond in Woods Hole, Mass over the summer. I ran it every day and had no noticeable growth until I had to leave for a 2 week period. When I got back the bottom was covered with small barnacles and other hard stuff and needed to be pulled for cleaning. Once cleaned, I had no problem for the rest of the summer running it most every day.

I have friends here in Florida that keep unpainted hulls in brackish canals. Every 2 weeks or so they just jump in and clean the slime off with a kitchen scrubber. As lone as you can stay ahead of the biofilm, you won't accumulate hard growth.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Doc:

Interesting..as mentioned, 4 days in cold (to me-73 degrees) freshwater was all I could get without the film beginning to form. This was without running the boat.

We'll likely do some shorter trips up the East Coast of Fla before we try a major run. I'll monitor the hull and see how it all works with the boat running everyday. Looks like I need to go to a sandbar every few days, take a swim and clean the bottom.

Even with bottom paint, the boats that sit in our basin are tended to by divers once a month or so.

Because of your helpful advice & direction on many boating topics, I have officially forgiven you for cutting your hair...