another bottom paint question

jbukie

Reaction score
is it possible to put ablative paint over non-ablative? or would this not work?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depends what drand, most manufacturers say yes, as long as the bottom is smooth and does not have a lot of layer on it. I believe you will need to sand the non ablative down first and then run a rag with paint thinner over to clean it then paint. If you go to interlux's website, they tell you what their ablative paints will work with out of their paints, and how to prep the bottom to make it work. If yyou have another brand, I'm sure it would work but you may have to call them to see what they would recommend. If you have a lot of bottom paint on the boat already, you really need to blast it off and start over, if it is a coat or two and smooth you are fine. If it is almost smooth, 80grit sand paper will get it smooth enough. I had non ablative on my old boat, after having abaltive on the new one and not having to paint the bottom every season very nice. I've also found the ablative does a better job at keeping my bottom clean.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I would not say yes for all situations but that is the plan that my dealer is going to employ on my new 275.

That is a chemical wash to remove the mold release and wax, sandless primer to treat the bottom and then an application of hard bottom paint during the application window of the sandless primer. The logic is that they want to bond the bottom paint to the sandless primer during the window of time in which it emulsifies the gel coat. They do not want to bond a layer of ablative to the chemical primer as it will eventually wear off leaving the sandless primer exposed. Next year they will apply a coat of ablative over the hard bottom paint.