Another COVID-19 Boat/Trailer Pick up thread

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In honor of Lee's trip to LA to get his new trailer, I figured I'd share my trip to pick up the new to me 225 Tournament. I sold the last one back in March and, while looking for a 209, came across another 225 that was too good of a deal to pass up.

Sea trial and check out came back positive......shopped and ordered a trailer which, because of the essential/non-essential shutdowns in Florida was a bit more of a challenge, and hit the road.

Thursday: April 9th:

2 PM. Headed south on I-75. Destination: Vero Beach, FL.

5:15 PM. TPMS warning light comes on near Valdosta...approximately 250 miles south of Atlanta. As a loyal Discount Tire customer, I knew the next locations were either in Lake City or Gainesville - another hour or so down the road. Would I make it before they closed at 6PM? As luck would have it, Discount Tire had just (like a couple weeks before) opened a new location in Valdosta. Pulled in - 20 minutes later pulled out with the tire patched.

9:45 PM. Arrive Vero Beach. As Lee noticed too on his trip, a surreal experience when the hotel is virtually empty. As we know now, this will be the new normal.

Friday April 10:

8:10 AM. Arrive at Float-On. They are performing final QC on my new trailer. They bring the paperwork out to me so I don't have to go inside. They suggest (or insist actually) that I stop back by there after I put the boat on the trailer to make sure everything is A-OK. I figure I'll make that call if necessary.

49768934293_7f0da4c1be_b.jpg

8:40 AM. Depart Float-On. Head south to Stuart.

9:30 AM . Arrive Stuart. Relief as the boat ramp is open (Sansprit Park). This has been my chief worry as it's been open, closed, open during the week, closed on weekends, etc... Back up plan was a lift and set at Sailfish Marina but thankfully turned out to be unnecessary.

10:00 AM. Boat is on the trailer. Decide that I will take Float-On up on their offer to check the adjustments and retorque everything. Off to the bank now to complete the paperwork with the seller.

10:50 AM. Headed North. Tows good but a little light on the tongue as I get it up to speed on I-95 North.

11:50 AM. Back at Float-On. Crew jumps on it immediately. An adjustment here, a reposition there, and it's good to go. They also measured my height at the ball and at the back of the trailer and determined that my ball mount was too low. Suggested flipping it over for better braking action. Suggestion taken.

49837602127_73575ab56c_b.jpg

12:20 PM. Headed West on 60, then North on the Turnpike.

5:00 PM. Cross back into Georgia. My scenery pictures, if there were any, would not be nearly as exciting as Lee's. Not much to see through Florida and Georgia along I-75

49836761378_0ec48437c1_b.jpg

9:15 PM. Comfortably in her parking space at the top of my driveway. Safe and Sound

49836761333_d23c0daeaa_b.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I am glad your story had a happy ending. I was on edge for a time:)
Best of luck with the new boat and with you really sexy trailer

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Greyduk

Reaction score
Looking good there Parthery!! I had a Float On trailer under my 223 and it pulled really well. They have been around for a while and seem to do a really good job. Do you have a lot of projects planned for the 225?

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pictures of Florida sunshine were good enough - Been cold and rainy in the NE. Good luck with the new boat

dainlaroche

Reaction score
Certainly is an adventure going to buy a boat at a distance. Drove from NH to Alabama in 2013 to buy a leftover boat for $15,000 less than I could have bought local. Slept in my vehicle and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all the way there and back to save money and make the trip worth it. I kept blowing trailer light fuses on the way home and finally figured out it happened every time it rained, and when I stopped heard a sizzling noise (like steak) as there was a break in the insulation at a zip tie. Fixed it and was good to go. Dad taught me to always bring tools on a road trip and I thank him for that.

Congrats on the new boat and awesome trailer!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Float-On has been around for 50+ years. Normally I go with Owens/Slide-On but they had shut down due to COVID-19 and - although they have since reopened, at the time they didn't know how long they would be closed. Additionally, the boat was in Stuart and Vero was right on the way.

Shout out to the folks at Float-On who had it built in 3 days and went above and beyond. Good people to deal with and I'm impressed so far. It floats right off (and on.)

Projects:

Bow and cockpit cover (complete)
Compound, buff and wax (complete)
New battery switch, antenna mount and fuel filter (complete)
Refurb/Re-LCD the tach and speedo (in process. Let's see how gaugesaver.com does.)
New throttle arm (existing one is pretty corroded. Bargain shopper trying to find one on eBay. No luck yet.)
Low pressure fuel pumps (sitting in my garage. Weather permitting - tonight.)

It was in surprisingly good shape. Just needed some TLC.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Parthery,

Love stories like yours, thanks for sharing!

I almost went with Owens & Sons last fall, but that drive would have killed me and wanted to make sure the boat fit the trailer as you did.

Awesome to have a new trailer!!

Lee

PS-And I learned from your post to put all text and pics in one string. Something that was unfathomable to me under the influence of wine after a long road trip :oops:

Last edited:

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Parthery,

Love stories like yours, thanks for sharing!

I almost went with Owens & Sons last fall, but that drive would have killed me and wanted to make sure the boat fit the trailer as you did.

Awesome to have a new trailer!!

Lee

PS-And I learned from your post to put all text and pics in one string. Something that was unfathomable to me under the influence of wine after a long road trip :oops:

I bought my beast ('04 228) about six years ago. The boat was towed from NY to Northern Ca by two guys with their pick-up truck. Used a reputable towing company.

Never used the trailer again and its been stored for $100 a month. I need to get rid of the trailer but spend more time going fishing.

good luck to all and stay safe.

Steve.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great looking trailer! I like that over-designed winch post and the clean, simple design. I was recommended Float On but ended up going with Owens and Sons due to location; don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Enjoy the new trailer!

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great looking trailer! I like that over-designed winch post and the clean, simple design. I was recommended Float On but ended up going with Owens and Sons due to location; don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Enjoy the new trailer!
Parthery and myself will hopefully have many post Covid years to talk about our new trailers. One less thing to stress about is now more than ever welcomed.

Agree with you and that nice "simple" look, which is classy!