Antenna wire

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Trying to neaten up everything in my boat and one of the small things that had bugged me is the extra 12’ of coax cable for the vhf that’s in my helm box.
My antenna is literally 2-1/2’ from my radio. With the routing of the cable I’m thinking it only needs 5 maybe 6’ to reach with a little slack. If I were to cut and recrimp a new connector that would hurt its performance any would it ?
I’d like to get that roll of extra cable out of the box.

seasick

Reaction score
How easy or hard it is to reterminate the cable depends to an extent on the thickness of the coax. The more common gauge can be reterminated generally but you need the appropriate connector and it should be new. Some are crimped only, some are a combo of solder and crimp and some are fully soldered. Note also that there is a recommended minimum length of coax as specified by the manufacturer. Too short is a bad thing.
Honestly, my advice is if you do not have experience with coax connectors it's best leave the excess coiled up

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have trimmed and added a new connector to a standard coax per standard horizon instructions. Also I watched their video on YouTube. My total coax length is 6’. I have no loss in reception or broadcast distance. Maybe email your manufacturer and see what limitations they recommend. My new connector came with an 8’ shakesphere antenna which also had instructions for cutting and installing.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same here. I've cut and soldered the connection on most all my antennas over the years with no loss of reception. I do think they (Shakespeare) recommends to keep at least 6' of the cable. The only Digital brand antenna that I had, I ordered it with 6' and factory installed end.

Reactions: pmgia and Lt.Mike

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
do it. I've used solder connectors and I used Shakespeare PL-259 is a solderless connector. I like the solderless one. I had no problems with it.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Cool ! It is a Standard Horizon radio and Shakespeare antenna.
The mass of extra wiring and cables really bother me. Glad to hear I can reduce som of it. Thanks.

pmgia

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Shakespeare Tech Tips
This antenna will read “short circuit” when tested with an ohm meter or continuity tester.
The 50-ohm coaxial cable should remain at least 3 feet in length, measured from the point where the cable exits the antenna.
For installations where the cable exits through the bottom center of the antenna’s ferrule, replace the grommet at the exit hole
in the ferrule with the supplied Grommet Plug.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've used the solderless centerpin connectors from Shakespeare for years. As long as you take your time and crimp carefully, they work as good as a soldered connection.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had some problems with solderless connectors over the years. But I found that crimping them carefully with a channel lock so that the pins don't bend along with a drop of solder in the holes provided a bulletproof connection.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you.
I’m going to get that done today.
Glad I have a handheld radio to do a radio check verifying the antenna is receiving and sending.
I tried getting a response from a radio check response on all appropriate channels and all I got were crickets. :mad:
from my spot on the Manasquan river I’ve reached Sandy Hook .
When someone’s checking a radio, needed for safety what’s it take to say it’s working?

seasick

Reaction score
First thing is to listen for 'traffic' on the channel that recreational boaters use in your area. In my area, we use 68.
Assuming you hear traffic, try requesting a radio check. It helps to state what channel you are on since folks may be ( and should be) monitoring multiple channels.
e.g. May I get a radio check on channel 68, over. Reduce squelch for the time being.

If you don't know or hear anything on the local recreational channel, verify that your radio is at least receiving by using the scan feature or selecting the more common channels like 16 ( do not radio check on 16), 13, perhaps 10 etc.
If you don't hear anything, it may mean a bad radio but also may mean there is no one on the radio ( likely in some areas, probably impossible in others.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
First thing is to listen for 'traffic' on the channel that recreational boaters use in your area. In my area, we use 68.
Assuming you hear traffic, try requesting a radio check. It helps to state what channel you are on since folks may be ( and should be) monitoring multiple channels.
e.g. May I get a radio check on channel 68, over. Reduce squelch for the time being.

If you don't know or hear anything on the local recreational channel, verify that your radio is at least receiving by using the scan feature or selecting the more common channels like 16 ( do not radio check on 16), 13, perhaps 10 etc.
If you don't hear anything, it may mean a bad radio but also may mean there is no one on the radio ( likely in some areas, probably impossible in others.
Did all that but no response.
Yes it picked up other boats but no one answered back for Radio check request.
Then broke out the hand held and it went over clearly.
I stick to this...16F53BE7-F5B8-438A-BD38-8B6FA15FE1E7.jpeg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Isn't there an automated radio check channel,,, like 26 maybe??

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sea Tow used to have automated radio check equipment in some locations, (CH24-28) but they stopped providing it last year. You can do a DSC check, which checks transmissions to the USCG's Rescue 21 system:

To perform a DSC Test Call, enter the U.S. Coast Guard’s coast station group identity “003669999” into the radio’s DSC memory. Once entered and stored, a DSC test call can be made by executing the following three steps:

1. Select “Test Call” from the radio’s DSC menu,
  2. Select the USCG number entered into memory, and
  3. Transmit the call.
The radio display should indicate when that test call is acknowledged and display the acknowledging station’s nine-digit identity. That identity may be different than the group identity previously entered into memory.

Fishtales

Reaction score
How easy or hard it is to reterminate the cable depends to an extent on the thickness of the coax. The more common gauge can be reterminated generally but you need the appropriate connector and it should be new. Some are crimped only, some are a combo of solder and crimp and some are fully soldered. Note also that there is a recommended minimum length of coax as specified by the manufacturer. Too short is a bad thing.
Honestly, my advice is if you do not have experience with coax connectors it's best leave the excess coiled up
Agree with the advice. Unless done correctly, you will have comm issues.

seasick

Reaction score
Some of the auto radio check stations have been shut down due to cost issues. I think that they were operated by Boat US but I am not sure

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I pinched it back and installed the solderless connector. Appears to be working well. Actually seems to be better than it was.
I also installed a Standard amplified external speaker for it.
can hear it nice and clear now.
Moving on I removed the old Faruno gps/sonar unit, It’s gps antenna and cable, opened all the screw holes a little with a step drill and filled them with marine Tex.
Tomorrow I’ll remove it’s transducer and cable and repair those holes it’s left behind.
with that done I’ve got a brandy new Simrad GO9 sidescan sonar gps unit to install. :)

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Did all that but no response.
Yes it picked up other boats but no one answered back for Radio check request.
Then broke out the hand held and it went over clearly.
I stick to this...View attachment 22181
65 is used alot in NJ by offshore recreational and charter fisherman for coms and as a hailing channel. Unfortunately there are always several frustrated comedians from a certain landfill island in NY .