Any good ideas to repair screw in snaps for enclosure?

dvroty

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So the wind has given my cockpit enclosure a beating over the years, ripping the screw in fasteners (buttons) right out of the fiberglass. Anyone else with this problem? I’ve been looking for buttons with a wider diameter screw attachment as compared to the standard to just re-drill into the fiberglass but have found nada. Wondering if anyone’s found any? Or if there’s a caulking/sealant that will harden hard enough to re-drill the hole and screw into again. Would like to keep the same holes rather than making a bunch of new ones. Any ideas help

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sailrite is always a good reference point. 9 Pages of snaps.
https://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardwa...eners/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

I think that you mean the snap stud, the button is the dome cap, usually on the top side of the fabric. Most boat applications are the one piece screw stud.
If you can access the back side, you can replace them with the stud from a 4 piece snap set, and use a pop rivet that will just fit the hole in the stud, and a washer on the underneath, also with a snug fit on the rivet. Rivet length is key here. You rivet from the top, and the rivet spreads against the washer.
You can do the same thing with a small bolt thru the stud, washer underneath, and a nut. You need a bolt head that will not interfere with the snap socket.
In both cases, look for a quarter sized, thin, fender washer, to give more coverage underneath.
HERE IS AN EVEN EASIER SOLUTION!
https://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Machine-Screw-5-8-8-32-Nickel-Plated-Key-I

Last edited:

dvroty

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
AWESOME, thank you guys!!

seasick

Reaction score
Third on Marinetex. Just apply the epoxt to the hole and and not around it so that later you know where the center of the hole was and should be. After it dries, use a small diameter drill bit to make a pilot hole..

Last edited:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fill mine with 5200 after I drill them but before I insert and tighten the snap stud. Let them setup overnight and they aren't going anywhere.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was able to successfully replace a loose one by just rebedding with 4200. I only did it as a temporary fix, but it's held for a few years now.

dvroty

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys for the help, I’m gonna try the machine screw buttons first that the first guy posted with a nut on the back. Those SHOULD work. If not, I’ll definitely go with the Marinetex. That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for

seasick

Reaction score
No doubt that machine screws with washers and nuts will hold very well. Often the issue is the thickness of the glass and if the thread is long enough and of course whether or not you can get to the backs side. You should use a bit of sealant or 4200 in the holes also just to prevent water intrusion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've filled the holes with Marine Tex and then let them cure. Drilled a small pilot and used some additional Marine Tex on the screw when inserting and let them cure. Did this on a couple of screws years ago and never had a problem.

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unless they are underfoot I think that
"common sense" twist-lock fasteners are the most secure and there are versions with 2 screws. I replace a few snaps every year, but the common sense seems to last basically forever. the disadvantage is that you can only unsnap them from one side (which is pretty typical) they do not unsnap in the wind either.

So the wind has given my cockpit enclosure a beating over the years, ripping the screw in fasteners (buttons) right out of the fiberglass. Anyone else with this problem? I’ve been looking for buttons with a wider diameter screw attachment as compared to the standard to just re-drill into the fiberglass but have found nada. Wondering if anyone’s found any? Or if there’s a caulking/sealant that will harden hard enough to re-drill the hole and screw into again. Would like to keep the same holes rather than making a bunch of new ones. Any ideas help