Anyone live in the Baltimore area? Looking at/would love opinions on possibly buying a GW 228 Seafarer.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone live in the Baltimore area that knows a thing or two about GW’s? I’m flying in tomorrow to look at a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer on Monday - I live in the Seattle area. The dealership said they don’t take down payments or do any transactions that aren’t in person. Luckily they said the boat is still for sale as of closing today and that with proof of a plane ticket, will put the boat on hold for me until the end of the work day on Monday until I decide if I want the boat or not. A little weird that they won’t do any transactions or purchases that aren’t in person, but alas I’m going to fly out tomorrow to look at it Monday. I’ve had a couple of Arima’s before but this would be my first GW, so I’m not too terribly sure what all to look at. I’d love to have a surveyor come out and look at the boat but I don’t imagine I could get one by Monday or Tuesday, though I guess I could always try. They said that if I do want the boat then I could put a down payment down on it and come up with a purchase agreement to hold the boat for me. That being said, it would always be great to have another set of eyes to look at the boat with me, if possible. Then they said I could always take it for a sea trial run as well.

My biggest concerns would be the motor, of which this company is a GW dealer and said they scoped the motor for the dry exhaust corrosion issues and said they didn’t find anything wrong. They also had their mechanic check the compression and it all looked good. It does have 991 hours on the motor, which is a few more than I’d like, but based on the price and myself likely not using the boat more than 100 hours or so a year, I imagine I’d probably get 5-6 years out of it at least. Hopefully. They said that the boat doesn’t have any damage or repairs to the hull, all of the electronics and everything else work on it and the trailer, I believe is a 2008? they said passed the Maryland state trailer inspection. They said the tires, bearings and so on looked decent and so forth. Any other thoughts or concerns? The only other thing I don’t love about the boat is that it doesn’t have a bow pulpit, but I guess I could always add one later if I really wanted to. Thanks again! And if anyone is available to look at the boat in person with me, I’d make it worth their time. Thanks again!

Last edited:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the planet so I can't help you with inspection.
The boat looks reasonable in the photos besides the mold but I'm sure you can treat that. The other thing she has bottom paint so maybe she was wet kept. Make sure you check the transom for water intrusion.
You can install a bow pulpit but they are very expensive to buy from GW. The 900 hours on the motor is not an issue but the age and the fact that she may have been water kept is. I have seen these motors with 4-5000 hours on 4-5 years commercial use. Doing under 100 per year corrosion will kill them before wear.
The boat is priced well ( cheap) to sell and if the hull is ok you can always re-power when this madness goes away.
I wish you luck..

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm 9 hours away. Boat is same year as mine. Bring a hammer and do some tapping around on the transom. Make sure it is crisp and no thud. I'd want the dealer to pull lower unit and look up into the exhaust myself. The hours are not all that bad for the age. Push all buttons and make sure pumps, lights and anything else electronic works. Water test too. Make sure it runs out well. Let it idle and make sure no overheating occurs. Check all cushions and enclosure. Make sure in decent shape. Mine had shrunk and didn't zip or snap so had a new one made. Look in all hatches, boxes,,, look for anything that doesn't look right. Look for rusty drool/runs, could be a sign of water intrusion from defective sealing. That's a start,,,,,

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm on the other side of the planet so I can't help you with inspection.
The boat looks reasonable in the photos besides the mold but I'm sure you can treat that. The other thing she has bottom paint so maybe she was wet kept. Make sure you check the transom for water intrusion.
You can install a bow pulpit but they are very expensive to buy from GW. The 900 hours on the motor is not an issue but the age and the fact that she may have been water kept is. I have seen these motors with 4-5000 hours on 4-5 years commercial use. Doing under 100 per year corrosion will kill them before wear.
The boat is priced well ( cheap) to sell and if the hull is ok you can always re-power when this madness goes away.
I wish you luck..
I think the boat looks decent in the photos as well, interesting that it’s not sold yet though. Although the business won’t do any dealing over the phone, it has to be done in person. Which might make a few people less interested. I noticed on Boat Trader and Boats.com that they also posted the wrong boat for the main picture. I was about to pass on it since I thought it was a typo or misprint but they just used the wrong picture for the main image on both sites. I think they said the boat was listed a week ago yesterday, hopefully it’s in the condition as described. And I agree, it seems like the price is quite good… as I’ve seen older boats with fewer options listed and sell for more money. If the hull/boat is decent and I get 5-6 seasons out of the motor then I’d be happy. And maybe go to repower at that point.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Honestly I’m not surprised they won’t do transactions that aren’t in person. Looks like your searching might have paid off with a solid boat and a decent price!
Hope it goes well for you.

It seems we might be at the start of covid prices coming back down to earth to some degree (hopefully).

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Years ago when I bought a boat with Yamahas out of state I went here,

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/f...hMRVcVS65dk5bI0ObebdNFFviw29rUKoaAgjLEALw_wcB

And then I called dealers until I found one that would allow a mechanic to meet me at the boat when I flew in. I know it's short notice for you but it's worth a try. I was able to arrange it with a weeks notice.

The boat looks good in the pictures other than it likely needs all new exterior vinyl. Good luck with whatever you do but that motor, I would want a pro to inspect it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Years ago when I bought a boat with Yamahas out of state I went here,

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/f...hMRVcVS65dk5bI0ObebdNFFviw29rUKoaAgjLEALw_wcB

And then I called dealers until I found one that would allow a mechanic to meet me at the boat when I flew in. I know it's short notice for you but it's worth a try. I was able to arrange it with a weeks notice.

The boat looks good in the pictures other than it likely needs all new exterior vinyl. Good luck with whatever you do but that motor, I would want a pro to inspect it.
Tri State is a certified dealer on the Yamaha website. Guess I’ll have to see what they say tomorrow. Just got into Baltimore a little over an hour ago. Made a hotel reservation that I had to cancel as it looked very sketchy from the parking lot. Onto hotel number 2 that’s a bit more appealing looking. Thanks again everyone.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone live in the Baltimore area that knows a thing or two about GW’s? I’m flying in tomorrow to look at a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer on Monday - I live in the Seattle area. The dealership said they don’t take down payments or do any transactions that aren’t in person. Luckily they said the boat is still for sale as of closing today and that with proof of a plane ticket, will put the boat on hold for me until the end of the work day on Monday until I decide if I want the boat or not. A little weird that they won’t do any transactions or purchases that aren’t in person, but alas I’m going to fly out and look at it tomorrow. I’ve had a couple of Arima’s before but this would be my first GW, so I’m not too terribly sure what all to look at. I’d love to have a surveyor come out and look at the boat but I don’t imagine I could get one by Monday or Tuesday, though I guess I could always try. They said that if I do want the boat then I could put a down payment down on it and come up with a purchase agreement to hold the boat for me. That being said, it would always be great to have another set of eyes to look at the boat with me, if possible. Then they said I could always take it for a sea trial run as well.

My biggest concerns would be the motor, of which this company is a GW dealer and said they scoped the motor for the dry exhaust corrosion issues and said they didn’t find anything wrong. They also had their mechanic check the compression and it all looked good. It does have 991 hours on the motor, which is a few more than I’d like, but based on the price and likely not using the boat more than 100 hours or so a year, I imagine I’d probably get 5-6 years out of it at least. Hopefully. They said that the boat doesn’t have any damage or repairs to the hull, all of the electronics and everything else work on it and the trailer, I believe is a 2008? they said passed the Maryland state trailer inspection. They said the tires, bearings and so on looked decent and so forth. Any other thoughts or concerns? The only other thing I don’t love about the boat is that it doesn’t have a bow pulpit, but I guess I could always add one later if I really wanted to. Thanks again! And if anyone is available to look at the boat in person with me, I’d make it worth their time. Thanks again!

Just seeing this now, I had a '97 228. I'm about 15 min from there, have a 2002 282 now. I use Tri-State for parts, great folks, honest, and they will work with you on pricing if your loyal. My Sailfish originally came from there. So if you'd like a hand or set of eyes send me a pm, I'm clear after 12pm today.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also, local Yamaha guy you can try is Ron Oakes, i use him for everything. Oakes Marine Repair, 410-858-3507. He's always very busy, but might be able to squeeze you in if you'd like added piece of mind. I have 1900 hours and spinning on my F225's, so your going to get a lot more than 5-6 years out of that motor, with proper care you likely never repower. I personally prefer to see a few more hours on a clean boat, means it's been run and maintained, as opposed to low hours on one that's clearly been neglected. Get in the bilge area under those seats at the transom and pay attention to the scupper hoses, they crack in time. Also the condition of the other through-hulls, not sure when they changed over but the older ones were plastic and cracked with UV exposure, I had to do all of those.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Also, local Yamaha guy you can try is Ron Oakes, i use him for everything. Oakes Marine Repair, 410-858-3507. He's always very busy, but might be able to squeeze you in if you'd like added piece of mind. I have 1900 hours and spinning on my F225's, so your going to get a lot more than 5-6 years out of that motor, with proper care you likely never repower. I personally prefer to see a few more hours on a clean boat, means it's been run and maintained, as opposed to low hours on one that's clearly been neglected. Get in the bilge area under those seats at the transom and pay attention to the scupper hoses, they crack in time. Also the condition of the other through-hulls, not sure when they changed over but the older ones were plastic and cracked with UV exposure, I had to do all of those.
Would love another set of eyes to come look at the boat with me. I’ll pm you now, thanks.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Listed as "Sale Pending"...did you buy it?
I did. Pending a favorable sea trial tomorrow morning. Went out with ItalianAngler and looked at the boat this afternoon. Boat looks very clean and well kept, especially for being almost 20 years old. Took the cover off the motor and looked very clean and tidy, the compression was all over 180, they said they scoped out the motor for the exhaust issues, trailer looks to be in pretty good shape with a spare tire/wheel/hub on it, and all of the electronics/accessories work on the boat like the lights, bilge pumps, trim tabs and so on. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow morning and will update everyone on what happens. Will have to sit and idle the boat for 10-15 minutes to make sure there aren’t any alarms as well as check for smoking, and odd noises or alarms at trolling/acceleration. Thanks again!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck on the trial tomorrow,,,, I know you've been looking for awhile. Glad ItalianAngler reached out to you. Always good to have extra eyes and ears while doing this.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you trailering it home or having it shipped, assuming everything checks out?

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Once again the boating community has restored my faith in humanity..Well done Angler !!!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you trailering it home or having it shipped, assuming everything checks out?
Not sure at the moment. I’ve checked with uship to see if I can get some quotes as to what it might cost. If the cost is negligible then I’d likely have it shipped out. Before with a previous boat of mine, I’d rented a truck from Enterprise and did a one way truck rental back out to Seattle. That being said, they aren’t doing those anymore, I’m assuming do to lack of inventory. Luckily it’s not during prime time fishing season in Seattle, so I can take my time a bit and always drive back out to pick it up if I wanted to.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Once again the boating community has restored my faith in humanity..Well done Angler !!!
Indeed. Very much appreciative of IA’s time in looking at the boat today. He’s definitely a wealth of knowledge in regards to GW’s

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I hope all goes well with the sea trial. If they are a reputable GW dealer it should he fine . I noticed they just sold a 08 model 228 with a new 300 hp .