Anyone tried a 3d printer?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, I bought a 3d printer this week. I was thinking I could either make some lures (parts of them, not the whole lure)... or make molds.

Not trying to be cheap, I like to play and experiment with stuff and with the price of some of the lures with larger fish, i.e. Wahoo, Tuna, Marlin... I figured... why not?

Anyway, have not finished assembling it yet, but was also curious about making new panels etc for the boat. Seemed like, if done right, could be a handy tool for parts I need.

Just curious if anyone ever tried to do this.

R

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have stayed away because the last thing I need is another hobby. Sounds like a great early Christmas present for yourself, be sure to post anything you make with it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Son has one. Like most things if you go inexpensive, you do a lot of the assembly work. Since most are made in China good luck with parts and instructions. There are various materials and you can do a lot with them. If your a tinkerer it will keep you busy.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe build a new trailer;)

Now that hurts... lol :p

Don't think I have not thought about it! heh.

Actually, was going to test some small parts throughout the boat, see what all it can do. Not sure how useful it will be, but the kids wanted to play around with one so, who knows.

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the trailer idea. Might take a while.....

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I actually built my own makerbot back when they were kits and you had to do a bunch of soldering. I still have it but don't use it much.

I was just researching some of the newer generation and I noticed that most of the cheaper ones only print PLA filament. PLA gives a much more accurate print, but I believe the prints are less durable than ABS which you can also strengthen a bit further by brushing with acetone.

Anyways, I don't see any harm in trying to print lures, though I suspect you may have to add weight since additive 3D printed parts have lots of air-space inside to save on plastic and save on print time. Also they tend to be porous so they will absorb water...

Here's a bunch of lures that other folks have printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=lure&dwh=475df02d6bb950a

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer