Anyone using Garmin GPSMAP 8610? Tranducer recommendations?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I starting to look into upgrade path for my Garmin 4210 and 4208 displays. I have a GSD24 sounder with two transducers on a switch (B744 thru-hull and M260 in wet box) and a Garmin GMR18 radar that will most likely stay.

I like the 8610 and 8610xsv. I'm totally confused by all the built-in sounder, black box sounders and transducer choices. Wanted to see if anyone has crossed this bridge.

My use case is bottom fishing in NJ to 100' and reef fishing in FL and off the edge to 300'. I'm not concerned about deep dropping.

How well does the chirp ClearVu and SideVu work? Or it sales BS?

I bought one of the first scanning sounders made back in 1995. It was the worst sounder ever. I gave it to a friend and told him the best way to use this was to tie the transducer to the boat and lower the unit down until you hit bottom! It was that bad.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
the "xsv" units have the same sonar as a GSD25 black box (1kw traditional CHIRP/Sidevu). I have an Echo with same sonar connected to a GT51M (mid-chirp). It is fantastic for NJ wreck/bottom fishing. You SEE the wreck. I just got a 1242xsv and I think I will sell the Echo and transom xducer and connect a thru-hull GT51M in place of my old B744.

Their xducers are complicated. There are single and dual ducers(labeled "All-in-One"now). Single just have clearvu/sidevu. Dual also have traditional.
All of these come in different frequencies and power ratings (get one with 500w cv/sv and 600w traditional). Since you have a 1 kw M260 for 50/200 khz, I would say get a GT51which is an 80/160khz. That will give you something you don't already have plus the sidevu.

Your M260 (1kw @ 50/200khx) with the gsd24 should be a really good deepwater and all around setup even though its not chirp.
Your B744 (600w@50/200khz) is kind of redundant given that you will have another (CHIRP)sonar. You might find a deal on the 8610xsv bundled with a transom mount GT51M although when I was looking I don't remember seeing 8600 series bundled with xducers. Buying xducers separately $ucks. I'm looking at a thruhull GT51M-TH for $730. A GT51M-TM is close to $500.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't want a transom mount anything on my boat. I'm going to install the GM51M-TH. I'll put the 8610xsv in the overhead to replace the 4208 which is primarily used as a sounder. I'll leave the GSD24 with the B744/M260. The 4210 is used for all-around navigation and mapping while fishing. I'll keep that for now.

Garmin screen resolution has always been an issue for me. The 86xx series is signifficantly better but there is no reason they can't offer 4k Retina screen resolutions. I'll be able to see how much better the mapping is on the 8610 and decide but I'll probably wait for the next generation.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Orders in - I decided... The 1243xsv and 943xsv are new models this year. Not sure you can get one yet. It has limitation but it is a tremendous value.

I have a 4208 in the overhead that will be replace by a 943xsv along with a new GM51M-TH. This is my primary sounder setup. I still have a networked GSD24 with transducers that I can continue to use. I'm anxious to try all this new sounder technology!

The 8610xsv supports more transducer ports/options and better screen resolution but it expensive. Its a better box but you pay for it. Its also last years model.

Sometime in 2021 I'll replace my 4210 at the helm with a 8612xsv or 1243xsv or something new. This is my mapping units and it would benefit from higher resolution but for now its good enough.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I went with the 1242xsv TouchPlus as its on sale. I'm looking at the box on my floor right now and daydreaming about it...:p
I might hook it up to a battery and transfer my waypoints from my 4208...play with it... I'm such an idiot...

The 1243 is going to have a better IPS touchscreen & probably a faster processor. But its going to sell for list price until next fall...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So the project begins. Drilled holes for the GT51M-TH. Right on centerline (lower left picture above) in aft compartment. Sits 12" in front of aft cleats so good clearance for forklift straps. I'm going to grind the hull out a little so the transducer fits flat to the hull.

I have a 943xsv on order that should arrive in January. Off to the Keys to test in February!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No faring block...flush mount transducer. Grind out 3/16" in the center to bring it in. Hull is 3/4" to 1".

Here are the flat and transducer.
IMG_1258.jpeg IMG_1257.jpeg IMG_1263.jpeg IMG_1266.jpeg

Holes treated with epoxy. Interprotect 2000 over exposed areas.

Transducer installed and bottom painted.

I did not bottom paint the plastic part of the transducer. No guidance from Garmin. Trying to figure this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag and SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My upgrade is spiraling up out of control. Saw Garmin GPS 24xd NEMA 2000 antenna. $300 and its in the mail!

Multi band GNSS accuracy to 1 meter. Multiple GPS systems for bigger satellite constelations and 10hz updates. Magnetic heading sensor to correct radar at slow speed for those that don't have a autopilot (me!).

Ordered the GPSMAP 943xsv today. Four times the resolution of my GPSMAP 4208. GT51M-TH transducer installed. SideVu, DownVu and Chirp. Re-plumbed my NEMA 2000 network. Installed a Standard Horizon GX1850 NEMA 2000 and Shakespeare 5241 3' Vhf Antenna.

Over the summer I'll replace the 4210 main navigation display with a 1243xsv or 8612xsv.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had ordered an xHD18 but it got damaged in shipping and never even got to me. Now I'm second guessing how to spend the refund...maybe go with the Fantom18. And a GT51-TH is in my "shopping list" on Amazon $740. Too damn cold for working on boat so it can wait.
I need to pull the trigger on new enclosure so its done before spring

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hodges was $707.78 plus tax free shipping. The base of the transducer is stainless steel. The transducer is some kind of plastic - not like the black plastic ones I'm used to seeing.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 943xsv arrived today. Had to rework my mounting bracket - unit is an inch narrower. Otherwise it went right in. Screen resolution is great. Unit come with built-in bathymetric charts out to the canyons.

Coming off a 4208 generation unit the new unit is amazing. Active Captain app lets you connect to built-in wifi and control the unit like you are at the helm.

GPS 24xd antenna arrives tomorrow. Simple pop-in NEMA connection. At that point I'm done.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

JRyan

Reaction score
Hi Hookup, nice job. I have a question about the raw water through hull strainer. It appears that there are 3 holes through the rear of each strainer. Did you drill them or did the strainer come that way?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes I drilled them. Long story on those three 3/8" holes and a good catch on your part. I had a lot of problems with the Rule pumps on the clamshell strainers. I went thru a dozen plus pump under warranty with Rule. One 5-week trip to FL I blew up 5 pumps! Broken shafts, water intrusion in motors, flat spots on motor usually caused by tough sea weed. After talking to engineering a few times we concluded there was too much pressure on the pumps so we relieved some of that pressure. Its been working great! Took three years to resolve!

One side benefit to the three holes in the clamshells is the pumps won't airlock when backing down hard.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yes I drilled them. Long story on those three 3/8" holes and a good catch on your part. I had a lot of problems with the Rule pumps on the clamshell strainers. I went thru a dozen plus pump under warranty with Rule. One 5-week trip to FL I blew up 5 pumps! Broken shafts, water intrusion in motors, flat spots on motor usually caused by tough sea weed. After talking to engineering a few times we concluded there was too much pressure on the pumps so we relieved some of that pressure. Its been working great! Took three years to resolve!

One side benefit to the three holes in the clamshells is the pumps won't airlock when backing down hard.

Hmmmm?.... thanks

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Glad I found this. Will be installing a clamshell this weekend and might drill the holes from the start since we do a lot of backing up while deep dropping.