Aqua Dex Decking

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Does anyone have the non absorbent Aqua Dex on their Grady deck? Was thinking about having it done on my 265.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks a lot like Sea Deck, right? Pretty normal stuff now a days. Used in lots of boats. What's your question? You can do searches for Sea Deck and see pros/cons - SD is more popular so you'll find more results using that.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm guessing he's probably wondering about the quality as I'd have to assume the Aqua Deck is likely a lot cheaper? Doing a quick Google search I found a couple of threads on another forum about EVA foam decking.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been thinking of doing a DIY project of just the fishing deck. Its pretty cheap if you don't get the custom job.
I'm thinking of an embossed solid grey or maybe the "snow camo". That would remove the problems with needing to frame the lines of the faux teak
For $200 its no big loss if I don't like it or if it doesn't hold up. If I like it alot I can get the custom job down the road.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaDek-Large...&qid=1638888318&sprefix=seadek,aps,160&sr=8-5

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My biggest question or concern would be how hard is it to get the old decking up if you needed to do maintenance, replace a section or after awhile replacing the whole thing? Per their website when they're asked about the longevity of the product... "In the harshest conditions, SeaDek can be expected to last 5-7 years. If the boat is covered and/or well taken care of, a longer life is likely." So, if you buy the product and install it yourself, or buy a boat that comes with it, and it lasts say 5-10 years... how much of a PITA is it going to be to rip up the old stuff to replace it with new? That to me would be my biggest concern or issue. That, and they say that bird droppings can also stain the product quite badly if not attended to in a timely manner. With my boat being out on a buoy for weeks/months at a time during the summer, I know that the birds are going to do their business and leave dead fish heads and everything else on the boat for me on my next time out fishing.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its just 3M tape. Ya, it'll probably rip and need heat and a scraper.. I don't think it would be that terrible. Not like deck paint.
heheheh....WD40 :p

I wish there was a company that made a decent one piece cushioned mat with a teak look. Cover the entire cockpit , all hatch seams and ports. Tapered edges. Heavy enough to lay down and not need any fastening. Similar to a work station mat but UV resistant
Haven't found that anywhere.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Its just 3M tape. Ya, it'll probably rip and need heat and a scraper.. I don't think it would be that terrible. Not like deck paint.
heheheh....WD40 :p

I wish there was a company that made a decent one piece cushioned mat with a teak look. Cover the entire cockpit , all hatch seams and ports. Tapered edges. Heavy enough to lay down and not need any fastening. Similar to a work station mat but UV resistant
Haven't found that anywhere.
SeaDek (and maybe others) will make it thicker. The 9mm is pretty hefty - maybe go even thicker. You could make it "wall to wall" by doing your own template. The only problem is that it's not available in wide enough widths to cover the whole cockpit in one piece so you'd probably need two - with a seam running either fore/aft or abeam. I don't know if they recommend a way to permanently seam it together? The "wall to wall" part would do most of the "keeping it in place" but a few well placed snaps/snads/velcro would be all you'd need to make sure (especially at the seam if it was still two different pieces).

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to remove - but 100% doable.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
They miscut my dash due to the elevation change. It wasn't that bad removing the old one. Just left some glue residue.

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_152344032.jpg
    PXL_20210720_152344032.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211001_125301_01.jpg
    IMG_20211001_125301_01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15