At a loss here...heh

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good morning! :)

Figure to start it on a positive note heh

I posted this on THT, but...I like the input here.. so, wanted to get input from all of you guys. I have emails in to etrailer.com and am going to call around about Titan, but....here is my issue:

Guys,

Been working on getting my trailer to stop locking up. I was under the impression that I had ordered the correct master cylinder to replace the one I had. One of the folks on here gave me a link stating the problem could be that I ordered the drum brake type instead of disc brake type and, sure enough, I had ordered the drum brake type.

Now, the disc brake one came in, but it has the same number on the side as the other one, 23744, Titan model 10. I looked at the pictures on the etrailer site and.... that looks like the one for the drum brakes. If I look at the part numbers, the drum brake is "2374400", but the one for the disc brakes is "4747100".

Is there any way to tell which I got? If I look at the PHOTOS of each on their site, they look identical, 23440 and one has a "5" under it and the other has a "4" under it.

I am thinking they used the brake drum cylinder for the photos on both and they sent me the wrong one yet again.

I will be calling Titan later today to check, but, not installing this one till I can confirm what the heck I have as they already are giving me hell about refunding the one I installed they sent last time.

Thanks

R

(I attached a photo of the two. The one installed is the same number and it was ordered "AS" a drum brake.. I am not removing that one till I get the right one so as to not get contamination in the line.. but will get a picture of it this weekend. The rusted looking one is the original one I replaced.)

Attachments

• IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 20

dbiscayne

Reaction score
The difference between the two models should just be the piston diameter & possibly allowable travel stroke.
The two models 'might' use the same outer housing if theres an inner sleeve that makes up the piston bore, where two different sleeves could be used with the same housing, but I doubt it.
If you really want to investigate you'd have to get the specs for the above items then measure the one they sent, probably easier to just call them direct.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, the only real difference is there is a checkvalve inside the spring of the drum brakes. Technically, I can remove the c-ring holding the valve inside, slide it out and remove the valve then put it all back together, but pretty sure that would negate the warranty.

Bottom line is that if the part number says it is for drums, then it should have the correct part number on the side, but needing to verify that with titan as I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to fix an issue that should not have happened but if the part numbers are printed on the sides and are different, then there are failures all down the supply chain that have caused me a lot of time and money.

If they are different for each, then that too has caused a lot.

Need to clarify before I spend more money;)

But, thank you for the input. I do like talking this all through and it all helps the next person too.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Titan got back to me and there is also a Q/A on eTrailer's site telling me how to tell the difference. I think it is silly to have them so similar.. heh.. maybe a different color cap would be better.. but a few ways:

1 - Look down the hole where the brake line goes into the cylinder and if you see a concave disk with holes, it is a check valve and thus drum brake cylinder. If you see a flat gray end, disc.

2 - Stick a pencil down there (same hole) and a drum brake will only go about a half inch, a disc brake further.

3 - lick the side.. ok, I lied.. yellow or pink dot painted on top, disc cylinder. No color, drum.. (but that may have been wiped off so.. who knows.)

Will check it all when I get home ;)

R