Auto Pilot location for 22-8 Seafarer

hangman1176

Reaction score
I have a simrad Ap14h. Anyone have info on a good place for the pump, course computer, and compass? I know what Simrad tells me but looking for a place on my particular model of Grady. Thanks for a response.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I originally installed a 12H in our Islander - so I had a bit more room to work with.

The pump is under the aft end of the starboard side of the V-berth. Just forward of the trim tab pump.

The compass is on the forward side of the athwartships bulkhead that is accessible from the forward inspection port on the bridge deck.

The computer is on the forward bulkhead in the head.

The control was mounted on the helm console.

When I upgraded to a Simrad AP-16 recently, I used all the same locations for the hardware items.

Brian

hangman1176

Reaction score

Ok, I checked those areas and all seems good except the compass area. It might be a little to close to the tank, might present a problem for an accurate reading.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: reply

hangman1176 said:
Ok, I checked those areas and all seems good except the compass area. It might be a little to close to the tank, might present a problem for an accurate reading.

I rechecked my post. Compass is on the AFT side of that bulkhead.

Fuel tank isn't an issue, as it is aluminum not ferrous.

Pump motors within a few feet can be a bigger problem.

Brian

catch22

Reaction score

hangman1176 said:

I mounted an auto-pilot compass, below the deck and in-between the fuel tanks, on a Gulfstream. No problems.... worked fine.

hangman1176

Reaction score

catch 22 that sounds like a great place, water holding tank is there but seems reasonable. Should I expect to take the floor lid off or access through the round cover (which might be a PIA)?

catch22

Reaction score

hangman1176 said:
catch 22 that sounds like a great place, water holding tank is there but seems reasonable. Should I expect to take the floor lid off or access through the round cover (which might be a PIA)?

I just went through the round access plate. I mounted it on a plywood bulkhead, just in front of the rear, (main) fuel tank. It may be different on the Seafarer, so just pop the plates and see what you have. If that location looks good, you may want to remove the entire access plate, (including ring) to gain some room.
I don't recall if there was a rigging tube for the wires, (I don't think so) or I just slipped them through a gap, over to the helm.

The water tank on the Gulfstream was under the port seat base, (storage compartment).

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had professionals install my Simrad AP-16 in my 228.

They put the compass way forward inside the starboard side cabin storage compartment. And I am careful not to store anything metal on that side (like a spare anchor chain - which I keep in my port side compartment).

The computer is on the inside of the cabin mounted on the starboard side bulkhead. Near but below the starboard side window but on cabin bulkhead.

The pump is behind the interior wall, bulkhead, below the steering wheel. That "L" shaped wall thing was taken apart and the pump was mounted to the inside of it (I think).

In any event, my auto-pilot is invisible except for the computer on the inside of the cabin. And I love the darn thing. Can't imagine not having one. Good luck. - Jack