Auto pilot on 228

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Simrad AP44 auto pilot on my 228 Seafarer .
If anyone on the forum has one not necessary Simrad , I would like to know where did you fit the pump and or computer.
Any advice on what to look for is welcome.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Locate the pump on the helm bulkhead behind the rigging box. Locate the computer on bulkhead inside of the cabin. The port side keeps it away from the pump and other electrical interference. Locating the heading sensor is more problematic. At least the Simrad one is waterproof.

Trapper has pictures of his recent installation of his Furuno AP in a 208. He should post pictures. If he doesn't, I can send them to you.

Reactions: wrxhoon

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
send pics of a 270 too!.. lol.. teasing ;)

R

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Locate the pump on the helm bulkhead behind the rigging box. Locate the computer on bulkhead inside of the cabin. The port side keeps it away from the pump and other electrical interference. Locating the heading sensor is more problematic. At least the Simrad one is waterproof.

Trapper has pictures of his recent installation of his Furuno AP in a 208. He should post pictures. If he doesn't, I can send them to you.

Thanks Doc, I would very much appreciate pictures especially if they are from a 226/228.
Is there enough room for the pump there? Obviously that's the best pace very close the helm so I don't need extension hoses. Does the computer need to be away from electrical current?
Heading sensor should be as low as possible, is that correct?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just finished mounting the pump for my Furuno AP300 on the outside of the bulkhead behind the rigging box. As you can see, there is plenty of room for the pump. But not for both the pump and the computer.

Pump.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here is where I plan to mount the computer and the heading sensor. I'll build a box to cover the heading sensor so that it doesn't get stepped on. If the location of the computer inside the helm bulkhead has interference from the pump, I'll move it to the port side.

Computer.jpgHeading Sensor.jpg

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking good Doc. Did you put a vibration dampeners behind the pump? (Grommets) or does it come with a pad?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those black rubber things are vibration dampers that came with the Raymarine pump. They are installed wrong because that's the way the original installer did them. I only looked up how to do it right after I relocated the pump. :confused: If it makes too much noise I'll put them on correctly or use a rubber mouse pad. I was able to quiet a water pump in my RV by mounting it on a mouse pad.

I'm bleeding the hydraulic system today in the 95 degree heat!

wrxhoon, I see that the Simrad AP44 system computer is smaller than the Furuno. It may fit on the box across from the pump. My old Raymarine AP had the pump on the box and the little computer on the bulkhead across from each other. I never had a problem with interference although the setup knocked the magnetic compass on the dash off by 15 degrees. I was too lazy to correct that since it is a PITA to box a compass correctly.

Last edited:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and advice Doc. Looks like there is enough room there for the pump , that was my concern. I remember from my old boat being very busy in there. I'm ok installing the computer in the cab if I have to. I'm going to keep it on the starboard side as well to keep cables neat. I don't know where to install the heading sensor.
I haven't bought anything yet but I think I will buy the Simrad AP44 , I have a 12" Evo 3 combo.
I have the same problem here with hot temperatures in summer ( very pleasant now about 75 F) , at least we can go boating/fishing all year around unlike the northern states in your part of the world.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here is the final installation of the head unit and compass. I still need to fab a box to cover the compass.

Final Installation.jpgFinal Installation.jpg

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice work Doc. Apart from the drop cables going to the autopilot connections, what else do you have at the helm for the rest of the NMEA cables? Have been running my 300 for a couple of weeks now and certainly enjoy the benefits and just fun of an auto pilot on a sports boat. Cheers, trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got the power coming in at the left end, the engine data cable, a data logger, a fluid level sensor connected to the fuel tank sender, a Simrad Evo3, and then the 3 Furuno cables and a terminator. Everything seems to have been recognized by everything else automatically.

I haven't tried the AP yet. Have to wait until the boat is in the water. I didn't bother doing all of the location tests since it was so damn hot! I can move things around later if something doesn't work out.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
For anyone planning your own A/P installation, I strongly recommend adding high-pressure ball valves in the three lines, close to the A/P pump. This allows isolation and removal of the pump if needed, without draining the entire system - and rendering it inoperable. Some of the installation diagrams show them as "optional", but again I recommend them based on past experience.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Looks neat . I haven't decided on the compass location yet .
I just received my AP44 kit , I was told that it includes everything I need.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is the final installation of the head unit and compass. I still need to fab a box to cover the compass.

docs install.jpg

Doc, That's a very nice, neat installation of the AP components. I do hate to see you have to deal with that heading compass being right on your cabin step. I have installed a few AP systems and from experience I can tell you that being exactly on centerline is not imperative. If you made a nice little shelf of starboard right where you have coiled the excess cable , the compass will perform just fine and you wouldn't have to warn newcomers about the obstruction on the step. You can just set it in the position I mentioned and lay a small sandbag or a sack of pinto beans on it temporarily while you do your commissioning trials to assure yourself that in fact it functions as needed in that location. I'm sure not picking at your install at all, it is immaculate. I just want you to know of another option that may cause you less grief.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That location is too close to the pump. I got significant interference there using a hand compass. I may move it to the port bulkhead though.

The best spot is actually under the floor in the water tank compartment. But I just didn't want to lift and have to re-seal the floor panel and run the cable. Maybe when it gets cooler.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, I just went out and re-checked. If I hold a hand compass right at the corner of the bulkhead at the edge of the door I don't see any deflection when I power up the pump. It's about 18" from the pump. MAYBE that location will work after all. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I'm going to install my compass on the compartment forward of the porta potti if that's any help Doc.
The pump will go about where you installed yours but I'm going to make a S/steel L bracket to mount it . The way my pump is designed it won't fit inside there with the fittings and the hoses . I'll put the computer in the same place as you but higher. Finally the square control unit will just fit next to the Yamaha MF display unit, I have the rectangle one.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They don't want you to mount the compass that far forward so as to minimize the pitch as you bounce over the waves. But who knows? We're all just figuring this stuff out.

BTW, be careful to use the same NMEA 2000 T-connectors when you expand your backbone for the autopilot connections. While they all plug into each other, all the brands are not the same as far as the standoff and index key dimensions. You could end up with the drop cables sticking out in different directions.