Autopilot on a 222 Fisherman

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a 1999 222 Fisherman. I would like to add autopilot and would appreciate any suggestions. The boat has mechanical steering w/ tilt wheel.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
Are there any brands that I should stay away from? Has anyone actually installed one themself? I feel this would be a great addition to the boat esp. when trolling. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
well...

here's an excellent suggestion...
drop the cable steering,up grade to sea star hydraulic steering and purchase a simrad ap16,you want the virtual feed back option...this is probably one of the best auto pilots on the market today,i've installed quite a few of these,and these are by far the most accurate as well as trouble free units... :wink:

gulfcart

Reaction score
Auto Pilot

I installed a TR-1 on my new 33 Exp.with the new 350 Yamahas.. It's my second one..Trouble free and does lots of stuff. Easy install.

I think it's great.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
Great! I'll take some response over none, but what if I don't want to change out the steering. Is there a decent affordable autopilot that will do the job designed for cable steering? The cable is fine with me. I see no need to spend the money to change it out unless there's no other option. I'm looking for affordable. If money was no object I would just take it down to Seel's and leave a blank check.

gerrys

Reaction score
Raymarine's Sport Pilot series may have been a consideration for a mechanically steered boat. It mounts under the steering wheel and actually spins the wheel to steer the boat. I had one on a boat and it was marginal with twins (hydraulic steering). This series has been discontinued, but you may still be able to find one online.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
interesting....

Gross Profit said:
Great! I'll take some response over none, but what if I don't want to change out the steering. Is there a decent affordable autopilot that will do the job designed for cable steering? The cable is fine with me. I see no need to spend the money to change it out unless there's no other option. I'm looking for affordable. If money was no object I would just take it down to Seel's and leave a blank check.

to the best of my knowledge,there's no manufacture that makes an "under the wheel" drive autopilot,i'm pretty confident these have been discontinued-quick guys,here's your chance to try and prove me wrong :wink:
that's the reason i told you to upgrade to hydraulic steering...if money is the issue here as far as the autopilot goes,you can use a raymarine s-1000,it's a real budget friendly unit...but again,you need hydraulic steering to use it...get it yet ??? if you want a pilot,you're gonna need hydraulic steering...

gerrys

Reaction score
Read my previous response carefully. I said "it's been discontinued". However, it still appears on the Raymarine website (again, showing discontinued). There are still several suppliers that are listing them such as Boaters World. As I also said, he may still be able to pick one up on line. Factory support would be questionable.
I also think Simrad had a steering post model at one time. I think that Sim required the steering mech to be changed with a breadbox sized unit. I think this also may have passed with the dinosaurs.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
Re: interesting....

jimmy's marine service said:
Gross Profit said:

to the best of my knowledge,there's no manufacture that makes an "under the wheel" drive autopilot,i'm pretty confident these have been discontinued-quick guys,here's your chance to try and prove me wrong :wink:
that's the reason i told you to upgrade to hydraulic steering...if money is the issue here as far as the autopilot goes,you can use a raymarine s-1000,it's a real budget friendly unit...but again,you need hydraulic steering to use it...get it yet ??? if you want a pilot,you're gonna need hydraulic steering...

yeah, I "get it" now that you communicate it correctly. Hey, do you think that chick in your avatar would come help me? If so, I might change out all sorts of $hit on that boat.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Re: interesting....

Gross Profit said:
jimmy's marine service said:
Gross Profit said:

yeah, I "get it" now that you communicate it correctly. Hey, do you think that chick in your avatar would come help me? If so, I might change out all sorts of $hit on that boat.

i don't think so... :roll: "might change out all sorts of $hit on that boat"...my shop's located in new jersey,capemay....if you're local to me,mabey you can stop by...you might even be lucky enough to see my girlfriend...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is that Jimmy getting protective? :lol:

It would probably be a decent trip if in the area.

Back to the original topic, if you can't swing the hydraulic steering and the AP at once, go for the hydraulic steering now and save up for the AP. I only had cables on a small boat so I can't do an equal comparison but the hydraulic is A LOT nicer.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
well I guess I blew it with Jimmy. I do that a lot.

Hey Simrad has one for mech. steering, AP14. junk or ok?

jfmagana

Reaction score
Gross Profit,

IMHO, Jimmy is right. You'd be wise to follow his suggestions...it won't be the cheapest route, but you'll be happiest in the long run.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I concur 100% with JF Magana (besides - he's only a few slips aways from me here in lovely Half Moon Bay).

JF Magana has invested in Furuno's pilot as I recall - a top of the line, commercial grade system. I have a Simrad AP-16. We both have 228G's.

I am very satisfied with my AP-16. I feel I am mechanically capable and a pretty good rigger but I chose NOT to install the AP-16. I had a pro do it and I am glad I did (hydrolics, electronics, etc.).

Good luck. You'll love having an autopilot.