autopilot

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Now that we are here in Fl full time will be fishing a lot more. Often with just me and the captain (my wife). Starting to look at autopilots for making trolling easier. 280 Marlin, twin ox66 250. Looking at Raymarine Evolution ACU 150. Would like some advice please.
thanks

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just installed a Raymarine EV-400 Power Autopilot system on my Marlin. The install was uncomplicated. The system is very easy to use.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just installed a EV150 on my seafarer 228 with a ox66, and it was very straight forward. Works great and I look forward to using it this season.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
did you install hydraulic pump at the helm, seems tons easier to put it there then near the rams

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One of the best things added for same reasons you did. What a pleasure to have a 3rd hand taking the wheel whether in harbor, trolling, or cruising. Used a Simrad since have Navico Electronics and mounted Pump under the Helm. Yes, lines are near wheel, and power is right close too. Had an Aluminum Bracket made to hang on the deck under helm.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Installed the Furuno Nav Pilot 300 on my 208.....way too much fun and great for fishing and everything Tortuga mentioned.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I put that system on my 265 about a year ago and have been very happy with it, seamless integration with the Raymarine Axiom displays and you could do it without a head unit if you wanted to but as I was replacing the original Simrad unit there was already a hole for the head unit and I'm used to having one. Haven't played around much with the pre-programmed trolling patterns but it's a neat idea. Only issue I've got is with the location of the pump, put it where the old one was located just below and a little to starboard of the helm. Apparently the magnets in this motor are much stronger than in the pump it replaced and my compass now reads something between 270 and 330 no matter the direction I'm heading. So, I've got to get some longer hydraulic lines and find a new location for the pump further from the compass but otherwise it's been great.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ordered the ev 150 it is on backorder till may, what else should i be accumulating for installation when it comes in?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
ordered the ev 150 it is on backorder till may, what else should i be accumulating for installation when it comes in?
Assuming you mean the whole kit, big ones off the top of my head are pump location and interface.

Where you physically locate the pump will drive the hose lengths needed, would also consider planning for the ORB fittings regardless of where it goes, a lot of the a#$pain that came with my install was reusing the original T-connectors and getting them tight enough in the right orientation. When I relocate the pump I will be changing those fittings out.

Don't believe you've mentioned what your'e planning to tie them into for interface and control but the AP computer and sensor core are designed, as you probably know, for Raymarine's SeaTalkNG network which is essentially Ray's proprietary format (plugs and cables) for NMEA and is a super easy plug and play interface if you have it, or are putting it in as part of this install. Planning factors here are physical location of the components to include a head unit if you're adding one, and the network components required to support all of it.

Depending on how you elect to control the AP (head unit or MFD) you're going to need at least 4 'spur' ports on the network. One for network power input to support the POE components like the sensor core and p70R head unit, one for the AP computer (which also requires direct 12v power input and output power to the pump so wire size will need to account for the locations of each), one for the sensor core, and one for either the head unit or the MFD for control. They have 5-way connectors (3 usable spur lines) and t-connectors (1 spur) that can all be interconnected via backbone cables and numerous lengths of both backbone and spur cables. So determining where those components will be physically located, and the manual will tell you the AP computer has to be mounted vertically so consider that, will determine how you set up the STNG network and the lengths of backbone and spur cable needed. Happy to discuss this issue further if you have questions as I spent a lot of time figuring out my layout.

There may well be alternatives to using STNG, I was starting from scratch so that was part of my baseline plan as it seemed the easiest and cleanest, but I can't speak with any authority on those other options.

Good luck, you'll love it once you have it.

Brett

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have all new Furuno gear on my boat accept the autopilot. It was an old Simrad/Robertson AP11. The Robertson’s were the industry standard for 40 years. Simrad bought them a number of years back. I don’t care if it was a 70ft Hatteras, or a 25 Grady White. That’s what Captains used.
I wanted to upgrade to a new unit that didn’t need a rudder angle indicator back on the outboard steering In the motor well.
I called a good friend of mine that runs one of the largest marine electronics distributor ships in the world. I told him what I had, and asked him if I should get the new Furuno Autopilot To system match the rest of my equipment. He flat out told me to stick with the Simrad units. I asked him again if it would work better to have all Furuno. He told me both he and his partner have all Furuno on their boats, but they have Simrad autopilots on their boats.
After 2 offshore trips in the last 2 weeks. One of them in 4 ft seas. I’m glad I listened to him. I added the SCX20 Satelite compass and the performance is unreal. The only thing is that you have to make the commands on the autopilot rather then on the GPS unit. The equipment has been manufactured in Norway for ever. Customer service was excellent when I had a question.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
got the whole kit "auto pilot in a box" so think i will only need fittings and hose, i am sure i have adequate wire and have power sources identified already. location for control head will be where non working search light control is currently at helm. the pump will be under helm and i am worried about compass interference not able to put in transom area. acu will go in cabin on bulkhead where radio was. i am sure there will be some hitches hopefully not to bad. current gps/sounder is garmin so seatalk will not work, right? someday i may upgrade that as well and tie in to ev150, that would have to be raymarine??

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The kit came yesterday and I am a bit overwhelmed. First order of business will be location of pump and accumulating needed fittings and hose. Pump comes with bsp to npt adapter which I assume I will be using. Additional fittings ie tee's will be npt as well and the current seastar hoses and new hoses will be npt as well. I have to plead ignorance here, my reading shows npt is often used for hydraulic situations but is not recommended. So before I start taking things apart I am hoping to get some recs/advice from others more knowledgeable
thanks

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dogdoc, I had the Simrad kit, same thing, a bunch of parts. I did a lot of research on the Seastar Steering box in my case. They will tell you if the Year was NPT or BSP. I ended up getting some new NPT Compression Fittings from a local hydraulic shop, but they are probably at Home Depot also. I had a SS bracket made to hang under the helm on the wall. I can share pictures if that helps.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
doc, If you need any additional parts or want to get some questions answered from a authorized guy , call an outfit called BoatSteer. The gal that answers the phone will get you a tech to talk to if you ask. And yes that gal is just as pretty as she sounds. The place is in my town about 4 miles away. I have been out there several times. Good operation.
http://www.boatsteer.com/

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
called boat steer and they were helpful and we can make up something that will work, but seemed a little more cumbersome than I would like. My helm is an older version of the seastar system and uses nptf fittings not orb, I will not change them and add a 1/4 nptf to 3/8 tube for the return line. Problem is the 1/4 bsp straight port on the pump. Has anyone found an adapter to go 1/4 bsp to 3/8 compression? Any advice on where to get the hoses (3/8 tube each end) made looks like i will need 6 about 24 in long.
thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
read thru these threads regarding fittings and hoses.
Here is a quick rundown...
Verify that you have Seastart 1000 psi "outboard" hose. Not 1500 psi Seastar Pro and not 3/8 nylon baystar or inboard hose.
Seastar outboard 1000 psi 5/16 hoses have Parker fittings with 9/16-24 thread which is what threads onto a 3/8 od compression thread.
Older Seastart helms had 1/4 NPT into the housing. New Seastar helms have ORB fittings in housing.
Home Depot stocks 1/4 npt to 3/8 compression fittings...straight, elbow and TEE. Use nickel plated into the aluminum helm housing.
You can get hoses and Parker fittings on eBay.

Many autopilot configs have you drop a TEE out of the helm..so you need a tee with 1/4 npt on one end (to screw into housing) and 3/8 compression on the other two(for hoses).
If you "break into the lines" with the AP then you need a TEE with ALL 3/8 ends (for three hoses)

edit: oh...the compensation line does not require 1000 psi hose. they usually show 3/8 nylon with actual compression ends on the hose.
I don't trust those fitting not to pop off (even though there is little pressure on the compensation line)

BUT...You CAN use the same Seastar 1000 psi and a 1/4npt male( into the helm )- to 3/8 male straight or elbow to connect the Parker fitting of the Seastar 1000 psi hose.

o_O...I know....

Field replaceable fittings for SeaStar 5/16ID hose

AutoPilot upgrade from manual hydraulic

Last edited:

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I bought a kit on Amazon and it had all the fittings I needed to go between my 20 years old sea star helm and he new pump. I did a SImrad but I think the pump fittings are pretty much the same. Hard hose and compression fittings. Tip, buy extra compression fittings for the hard hose and don’t over tighten. It will come apart and make a mess. Ask me how I know.
C5683088-6BE3-4CA5-925B-70597DE16DA4.png

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I bought a kit on Amazon and it had all the fittings I needed to go between my 20 years old sea star helm and he new pump. I did a SImrad but I think the pump fittings are pretty much the same. Hard hose and compression fittings. Tip, buy extra compression fittings for the hard hose and don’t over tighten. It will come apart and make a mess. Ask me how I know.
View attachment 20547
That kit won't work on Seastar 1000 psi outboard hose. That is 3/8 nylon tubing for Baystar or inboards with rudders. Those are 3/8 compression fittings for the hose.

Baystar systems are only rated to a sinlge 150 hp outboard

Last edited: