Battery Maintenance/Replacement question

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Generally speaking, with seemingly fine batteries in a 2006 330 express, what would be the consensus--change out after 2 years? Wait till after 3 years? Thoughts anyone?

350 hours on engines
primarily offshore use

gerrys

Reaction score
I always look at replacement between the 3rd and 4th year. Why? Because I've seen degradation beginning then, particularly faster discharging. This is my guideline for a properly maintained battery. Poorly maintained batteries can be lost a lot sooner.

Not sure what batteries you have in your 33, but my Marlin came with Deka batteries, GP27.

In searching for replacements I came across Interstate SRM-27B Deep Cycle/Cranking. They have the GP27 physical size but pack more punch and reserve. Don't confuse with the SRM-27 - not the same batteries. The B series is generally not carried by distributors and must be spacial ordered. They are horses and will run your electronics for a long time with plenty of startup power for the run home.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I don't remember changing batteries on any of my boats.

Could that be due to the short period between purchase and trade-in on a larger boat? :D :D :D

jfmagana

Reaction score
Depends on many factors (e.g., Do you trickle charge them when docked? what type of batteries they are. How you manage your battery banks, etc.), but a good rule of thumb is every 3 years. Look at it this way: w/o your batteries, you could find yourself in a very bad situation...it's just not worth it...change them. Also, there continue to be rapid advancements in battery technology...why not get the latest/best.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are ways to load test batteries with a simple device, just like in cars.

I guess it's easier to just replace periodically.

jehines3

Reaction score
It depends on whether you leave your boat plugged in or not. My biggest problem with a boat always hooked to shore power is the batteries are giving a false sense of charge and discharge rates. I charge my batteries while running and when I return to the dock while I'm cleaning the boat. If when I return to the boat day/week/weeks later the engines don't start strong than I replace the batteries. I always do in pairs. The price of lead is rising quickly batteries will not be a just change it item soon for this reason. Smart charging and good sense will let you get 4-6 years out of batteries. I'm contemplating AGM on the next round. Considering the cost, random repalcement is just not a good use of the boat dollar IMO.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
Batteries

My Grady is ten years old and I am going to put the third set of batteries in this spring!!!!!!!!! Keep an eye on them and check the water.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Heat, vibration, and low acid are the killers of batteries. Deep cycle batteries dont last as long as there counterparts because of the time needed to charge them. So with that said I have replaced my deep cycle battery at a rate of 2 to one to the starting batteries. I just have to remember to check it often and trickle charge it when it reads around 12.2 volts or less. I also carry a battery pack just in case. Lights,bilge pumps,radio,GPS.You never know.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gerrys - you can get the same battery in a 29 series flooded, fits in same box as 27.

Find the Interstate distributor for freshest batteries, good pricing, can't say more here.