Battery removal tool for 270/282 Islander/Sailfish

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I remember reading a long while back about the horrible battery access in some of the Grady's. With my new to me 270, I am now that guy.
I can't find the post, but I know some people came up with methods to remove the batteries more easily. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
All of my batteries is have handles. The issue is the batteries are 2' into the compartment and 1.5' down into the bilge. Not fun to reach.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Figured it out. Put a pad down on top of the drop door. Lay on your belly and use both arms to lift the battery out of the tray and slide it slightly forward. Then lay on your side with your head and bottom arm in the bilge. Use your top arm to pull the battery up while using your bottom hand/arm to push up and out. Not bad at all.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did it just fine on my own a week or two ago with a pair of Group 24 batteries on my 228 Seafarer while the boat was still out on the buoy rocking and a rolling. The only issue I had was trying to replace one at a time and going from outside inward, yet there isn't enough room to do so. So, I disconnected both batteries and then pulled out the outward most battery first, then the inner battery after that as there wasn't enough space to replace one with the other still in there.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I replaced all my batteries this year. A little easier if you take them all out port to starboard and replace them the other way. Anyway I get them half way out and balanced then grad the handle and lift them out. If you don't have batteries with handles you have the wrong ones!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I replaced all my batteries this year. A little easier if you take them all out port to starboard and replace them the other way. Anyway I get them half way out and balanced then grad the handle and lift them out. If you don't have batteries with handles you have the wrong ones!
The 268s are a breeze compared to the 270 and I believe the 282 has the same design. The technique I mentioned helps enormously and really reduces the risk of an injury for anyone regardless of age. The only wild card could be someone's height or width in the shoulders.

Reactions: Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had to replace my port battery on my 282 this year and I think I over analyzed the situation. I had a variety of thoughts - take all batteries out and slide new one right and left. rig up a hoist to somhow lower the battery in. make a slide the the battery could just slide down. Finally just picked up the battery by the handles just dropped it in place - they are easer going in than out! Guess what ever workd the best for you

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder and might need a 4th. The easy way is my only way!

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Remember to reconnect ALL wires and cables as one ground missing can make a hell of a difference .........How do I know?? A thin ground for Helm master was left loose, could not even see it and NOTHING worked properly.

And yes all battery issues are a pain regardless of boat. Reading all about the new Li batteries is also another science regarding charging them so no easy solution. Spare knuckles and heads and shoulders, use kids or grand kids......

H

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder and might need a 4th. The easy way is my only way!
years
I
I'm with you there - had a full shoulder replacement 2 years ago and in the process they broke humerus top to bottom. Took a year of rehab but it is good now - scheduled for the left in January so at hoping my batteries are good for at least 4 years!

Reactions: family affair