Best trailer to buy.

Grambo

Reaction score
I have a line on a 2005 seafarer 226 with hardtop and a f250 yamaha for the drive. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a trailer so will have to get one. Is there anybody out there with a similar setup that can guide me on what to get. The boat will be used in fresh water.

BobH1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I purchased a venture 8800 from enterprise marine on tht. A little overkill for my 268 Islander but I would rather have more trailer than less.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer with a hardtop and a 2004 Yamaha F225 motor on the back, my trailer is a 2009 Wesco brand aluminum I-beam trailer that came with the boat. I believe the trailer has 3,000 lb axles but I'm not positive and would have to look at the sticker on the trailer itself. I prefer the aluminum I-beam trailers as they're lighter but still very strong, they have imo better resale value and the biggest thing is that they don't rust like the galvanized trailers do. I bought my boat last October out in Maryland and actually trailered it back via a U-Haul truck the 3,009 miles to just north of Seattle where I live and had no problems at all. The trailer handled great, tires and bearings, brakes and so forth were all new or newer and was very fortunate to not have any issues at all. I'd figure out what your budget is, whether you want aluminum or galvanized and which brands are closest to your budget. Trailers are like boats and anything else in that the biggest determining factor on price imo is location. Boats and trailers seem to be about half of what they sell for out here in Seattle compared to on the east coast and in the southeast, like Florida and so forth. Depending on your location, I'd see what a local trailer shop will charge as well as what ones in nearby states will charge. You could also reach out to them, or your local Grady White dealer, tell them what kind of boat you have and see what their recommendations are? There are dozens and dozens of different trailer manufacturers out there and you're likely going to get a ton of different opinions on here. Knowing your budget and location will help out tremendously, as well as when you need the trailer by, as a lot of trailer manufacturers are backordered for months and months, or even longer. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: PT G

seasick

Reaction score
You first need to find out what brands are available in your area. After that you can narrow down your options but note that these days the brand and model you decide on may not be available.
On a separate note, I would not buy a Venture trailer. I have one and it had so many parts go bad in a relatively short period of time that I can't recommend that brand. They are on the lower end of price though. For freash water the Venture is probably more reliable but some of my failures were not salt water related, just porr quality parts.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
You first need to find out what brands are available in your area. After that you can narrow down your options but note that these days the brand and model you decide on may not be available.
On a separate note, I would not buy a Venture trailer. I have one and it had so many parts go bad in a relatively short period of time that I can't recommend that brand. They are on the lower end of price though. For freash water the Venture is probably more reliable but some of my failures were not salt water related, just porr quality parts.

sorry to hear that.

I had a Venture under my last boat. It was nine years old when I sold it along with the boat. It was in near new condition, functioning perfectly, etc.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a line on a 2005 seafarer 226 with hardtop and a f250 yamaha for the drive. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a trailer so will have to get one. Is there anybody out there with a similar setup that can guide me on what to get. The boat will be used in fresh water.
Is this the boat in Savannah?

If it is, I know where you can get a trailer for it quickly and not too far away. Otherwise, be prepared to wait awhile to get one built.

You didn't tell us where you are, and it makes a difference. Do you want bunks or rollers?

seasick

Reaction score
sorry to hear that.

I had a Venture under my last boat. It was nine years old when I sold it along with the boat. It was in near new condition, functioning perfectly, etc.
I am glad you didn't have problems but I think if more folks chime in you will hear a lot of folks who have not been so lucky with Ventures.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
How far do you trailer ? A few miles or hundreds ?
Practically any trailer will get you from home to the ramp if it's just a handful of miles .

I have had Performance which I think is now Road King. I have had Magic Trail , EZ Loader and Venture . I now own an Owens. I trailer to Florida a couple times of year from NC. I have been stranded more times than I can care to count with all those trailers but the Owens . Note when I upgraded the Venture to Kodiak brakes and put on Good Year Endurance Load Range D tires that the Venture performed well. I don't care what trailer you buy if it doesn't have stainless Kodiak /Deesmax brakes and components you are going to have issues.. That boat needs brakes on both axles . Trust me towing is easy , stopping is the hard part and you will want brakes on all 4 wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First, there's no such thing as "best". What's best "for you" is going to depend on lot's of things - how often you tow, where you tow, what you tow with and, of course, budget, to name a few. Secondly, I'd also recommend buying local. And I'd also recommend staying away from Venture. I used to sell them... I don't anymore. Too many problems and often they wouldn't stand behind their warranty. We even came up with a saying: "It's always an adventure with a Venture" :)

Tidewater, Load rite... good "average" trailers. Shoreland'r is about as close to full custom as you can get without the price - excellent trailers. There's any number of custom trailer manufacturers, as well. But, again, look locally.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
First, there's no such thing as "best". What's best "for you" is going to depend on lot's of things - how often you tow, where you tow, what you tow with and, of course, budget, to name a few. Secondly, I'd also recommend buying local. And I'd also recommend staying away from Venture. I used to sell them... I don't anymore. Too many problems and often they wouldn't stand behind their warranty. We even came up with a saying: "It's always an adventure with a Venture" :)

Tidewater, Load rite... good "average" trailers. Shoreland'r is about as close to full custom as you can get without the price - excellent trailers. There's any number of custom trailer manufacturers, as well. But, again, look locally.
Um, Dennis I disagree . There is a best or a few best like Myco or Rolls . Those two trailers are the bomb! Then you got Pacific, Ownens, Sport Trail , Ameritrail and Load Rite.

Then you have Road King, Magic Trail, Rocket. And so forth.

Not all trailers are created equal. In the moment of Top Gun 2 , there is a best of the best and I would give that edge to Myco though Rolls offers a killer aluminum axle they make in house .

To me the Venture problem was the running gear they chose not the trailer itself.

I will also say I drove over 680 miles to buy an Owens and I would drive 680 more to get another. It is a dream to tow long distances and when I ordered it I upgraded the wheels to 15 inch rims so I could put load range E tires on it. My hubs on the Venture would run between 130 and 145 in temp measured with an IR thermometer.

Going up the next wheel size , bigger wheel means fewer rotations at same speed, my hub temps on the Owens run between 105 and 110. Cooler temps means better bearing wear and life. It means better tire life . It's my opinion every boat trailer designed in the 7500 pound class should be rigged with 15 inch rims . It would help reduce tire failed, bearing wear and hub issues .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, that's just it - there's so many that it's hard to nail it down, Bob. For example, Shoreland'r is definitely better than Load Rite... according to your list does that mean it's better than Owens, Pacific and Sport Trail, as well? How about Phoenix - how do they play into your list? I'm not knocking you, Bob - far from it. There's just so many out there and so many people only have "real" experience with one or maybe two trailers - and at that, only experience with one or two models of a particular trailer. That's hardly enough to warrant a valid review. For example, someone might say that

My experience with Venture is from about 7 years of carrying them for sale and seeing all the problems - way too many to list - even horrible weld problems. There were definitely problems with the trailer, itself. But again, that's not just from a "single" experience - it's from many.

But, in the end, I still stand by my statement of "It's what's best for an individual and their situation - not what's best for me or anyone else". :)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well, that's just it - there's so many that it's hard to nail it down, Bob. For example, Shoreland'r is definitely better than Load Rite... according to your list does that mean it's better than Owens, Pacific and Sport Trail, as well? How about Phoenix - how do they play into your list? I'm not knocking you, Bob - far from it. There's just so many out there and so many people only have "real" experience with one or maybe two trailers - and at that, only experience with one or two models of a particular trailer. That's hardly enough to warrant a valid review. For example, someone might say that

My experience with Venture is from about 7 years of carrying them for sale and seeing all the problems - way too many to list - even horrible weld problems. There were definitely problems with the trailer, itself. But again, that's not just from a "single" experience - it's from many.

But, in the end, I still stand by my statement of "It's what's best for an individual and their situation - not what's best for me or anyone else". :)
Dennis I forgot about Shorelander. I have never really checked them out at the ramp nor for shopping . You're right though there are many and many are likely just average but few come close to Myco or Rolls. My Owens is the best I have ever owned and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The semi custom welded design made specifically for the 228,/225/,226/222 hulls is amazing to load at the ramp . Easiest loading trailer I have ever owned . Then the important part , it trails so true and the narrower design is great as the main bunks are placed directly on the IBeam so the width of the trailer can be reduced.

I now prefer the welded trailer design over the bolt on components. Less stuff to fail . But I do think there is a big muddy middle where no trailer is any better than an another.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll throw Loadmaster in the mix which is what my 228 resides on,,, multiple miles up and down the road from Kentucky,,, Marathon Florida in the Keys to Lakeside Marblehead in Ohio fishing Lake Erie,, and points in between. I've pulled Shoreland'r under my Trophy 2002, then moved to a Road King, which was night and day better. Bought a second Road King to go under my Striper 2301, no issues with either. When I bought my 228, it was sitting on a Loadmaster that was somewhat tired and wouldn't have made the ride home from Tampa to Kentucky. Luckily I had contacted Loadmaster and they had me a new one built and ready when I went to pick my boat up. I did upgrade to all stainless steel Kodiak parts and went with Goodyear Endurance tires. Trailer has been trouble free since day one,,, getting ready to put a new set of Goodyear's under it this year due to age, not wear.

This was day before I came home with my new to me boat and new trailer.

Screenshot_20220613-152331_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have zero knowledge about/experience with Myco or Rolls so I won't even venture an opinion as it would be based on, well, nothing! I've heard good things about Owens but I don't have an personal experience - so again, it wouldn't be fair for me to speak one way or the other about them. ShoreLand'r, though, I do have LOT'S of experience with - both with owning trailers by them and with the majority of the boats at our shop using them... for a couple decades. All welded frame, too.

Quick story on ShoreLand'r... I used to own a 28' Sea Ray Sundancer (cruiser). All together, it was about 10K with the trailer. Not gigantic, but well within the "decent" range for trailering. This was a dual axle trailer. So... traveling 95, about 70MPH, pulling with a 3/4 ton Suburban with 5 others in the Sub. I felt the slightest, I mean the SLIGHTEST, vibration in the steering wheel. Started monitoring my side views and about 30 seconds later... Ah, OK! There's the smoke! Blown tire. I started pulling over and everyone else in the truck had no idea why I was pulling over. The trailer was still tracking good-n-straight. By the time I pulled over and got out, the tread had TOTALLY separated from the sidewall! Absolutely NO support. That port side was completely supported by one wheel only. There was zero damage to the trailer. THAT impressed me!

But again, lot's of good choices out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Um, Dennis I disagree . There is a best or a few best like Myco or Rolls . Those two trailers are the bomb! Then you got Pacific, Ownens, Sport Trail , Ameritrail and Load Rite.

Then you have Road King, Magic Trail, Rocket. And so forth.

Not all trailers are created equal. In the moment of Top Gun 2 , there is a best of the best and I would give that edge to Myco though Rolls offers a killer aluminum axle they make in house .

To me the Venture problem was the running gear they chose not the trailer itself.

I will also say I drove over 680 miles to buy an Owens and I would drive 680 more to get another. It is a dream to tow long distances and when I ordered it I upgraded the wheels to 15 inch rims so I could put load range E tires on it. My hubs on the Venture would run between 130 and 145 in temp measured with an IR thermometer.

Going up the next wheel size , bigger wheel means fewer rotations at same speed, my hub temps on the Owens run between 105 and 110. Cooler temps means better bearing wear and life. It means better tire life . It's my opinion every boat trailer designed in the 7500 pound class should be rigged with 15 inch rims . It would help reduce tire failed, bearing wear and hub issues .
I agree completely... I think way too many guys just get the base model trailer and then are disappointed with it later on when things like brakes and other hardware don't last more than a couple of seasons. With trailers and gear that will see saltwater on a regular basis as well as hundreds, if not thousands of miles driven annually, I say splurge and get the nicer features or better options and not leave yourself potentially stranded or in a bad spot. I think most of the trailers themselves are probably going to all be "somewhat similar" for the most part but yes, the top of the line trailers are going to have all of the bells and whistles and the longevity on top of that. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is generally always quite accurate in life and especially with regards to boat and/or other trailers. Shopping around and finding the best price is also what I always do and even if you have to drive a good deal of miles to get the best deal, I say go for it. I did that with all 3 of my boat purchases as the boats were about half the price or even less than what they sell for out here in the Seattle area. Is it always feasible to buy out of state? No, but oftentimes it can make a huge difference and make it worth doing the trek.

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I need to get a trailer for my little boat and was going to pickup another Owens. I think I'm going to wait and see how the new ownership goes. I need a few parts for my Grady trailer and was going to stop by. Their customer service was second to none.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I agree completely... I think way too many guys just get the base model trailer and then are disappointed with it later on when things like brakes and other hardware don't last more than a couple of seasons. With trailers and gear that will see saltwater on a regular basis as well as hundreds, if not thousands of miles driven annually, I say splurge and get the nicer features or better options and not leave yourself potentially stranded or in a bad spot. I think most of the trailers themselves are probably going to all be "somewhat similar" for the most part but yes, the top of the line trailers are going to have all of the bells and whistles and the longevity on top of that. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is generally always quite accurate in life and especially with regards to boat and/or other trailers. Shopping around and finding the best price is also what I always do and even if you have to drive a good deal of miles to get the best deal, I say go for it. I did that with all 3 of my boat purchases as the boats were about half the price or even less than what they sell for out here in the Seattle area. Is it always feasible to buy out of state? No, but oftentimes it can make a huge difference and make it worth doing the trek.
However,
When the trailer breaks along I-95 in Georgia and your family is stranded like the Griswold s, you have done choices. You can call a tow truck and wait on that stuff or you can but up and fix it yourself. My boat trailer calamities have increased my working knowledge of trailer repair that I could actually open up a trailer repair shop . . So, having poorly built or sometimes poorly maintained trailers fail actually has been a blessing for me be ause with all my tools and skills now, girls only like boys with skills, I am actually never stranded anywhere. See there is a plus side here if you seek it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
However,
When the trailer breaks along I-95 in Georgia and your family is stranded like the Griswold s, you have done choices. You can call a tow truck and wait on that stuff or you can but up and fix it yourself. My boat trailer calamities have increased my working knowledge of trailer repair that I could actually open up a trailer repair shop . . So, having poorly built or sometimes poorly maintained trailers fail actually has been a blessing for me be ause with all my tools and skills now, girls only like boys with skills, I am actually never stranded anywhere. See there is a plus side here if you seek it.
Agreed, my 1965 mustang fastback didn't become as nice as it is and look the way that it does by throwing money at other people to work on the car and restore it for me. I learned how to pull the old motor and installed the new one by watching a 20 minute YouTube video, then did the same by doing all of the suspension work, brakes and even helped the body shop doing the body work as well as helped out with the painting of the car itself. I'd rather work on my car and have it turn out in great shape because of the blood, sweat and tears of doing my own work as opposed to throwing thousands and thousands of dollars away to overpriced shops to do it for me instead because I'm lazy or incompetent.

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
If you buy Venture get the Commander Series they are solid. Regardless what brand you choose. I would go at least 7500 -8500 lbs Aluminum I-beam with torsion tandem axle, 16 inches wheels/tires, stainless disc brakes on both axles and stainless steel hardware, if you have an extra $1000 add hydraulic over electric. Cheaper to add on as it being built than later. Don’t get rollers trailer, they are more trouble and too soft.

Reactions: BobH1