Best Transducer for Seafarer and Garmin C400 Fishfinder

GT

Reaction score
I want to install the Garmin 400C on my 1992 Seafarer, now have to choose a transducer and looking for your opinions.
The boat currently has a transom mounted transducer for the gps, and its not great because it picks up a lot of noise from prop leaving me without depth at wot (not the best time to be without depth!). I'm trying to learn about the various transducer types and how they compare. Seems like a shoot thru would have its advantages, including no more holes in the transom, and no more "noise".
Do they perform the same? Seems I'd be giving up a few functions like water temp and speed by going shoot thru. Anything else?

I read somewhere that someone mounted a square piece of starboard on the transom with 5200 which the transducer got screwed down to. Seems like a decent idea that prevents holes in transom, and makes it easy swap out when technology changes (and I want an updated toy).

Any thoughts?

beagleboy

Reaction score
I was told by service guy at marine max to try and tip transducer nose up a little bit to get a better pic at wot. I tried it and it did improve pic. It may make depth reading not quite as accurate but not by much