Bilge pump fuse size ???

Double Eagle

Reaction score
In sorting out my wiring I opened two in line fuse holders that I am quite sure goes to the builge pumps. While taking the holders apart the glass fuse broke and I can't tell what amp the fuse was. I have installed a new fuse panel and would like to put the proper size fuse in for them.

jehines3

Reaction score
Just look up the pump spec and it will have fuse rating.

That said my PERSONAL take on the fuse for the pump is to size for the wire run (which had better be greater than the pump specs). I'd rather run the pump till it burns up if it keeps me and my boat from sinking. If the pump was going to burn up, it was going to burn up anyway, I'd just rather not burn the fuse until as late a possible in the scenario. All of the fuses for that application will melt quickly on a short circuit. This is not a professional opinion, just one boater to another (ie: no liability). Use at your own risk. jh

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Double,

The fuse ratings are on the metal end caps, not the glass.

jehines3

Reaction score
bob is right it's on the metal.

If you bought the boat used, don't relay on what was in the holder as gospel though. I've seen plenty of way undersized fuses. I've seen people go through their dash until they found a holder with a fuse left in it to use. While not a big deal in cars almost everything on boats is fairly critical VHF, Nav lights, Bilge pump, etc. find out the proper from the pump mfr and then go from there. Undersized could be a bad thing here. jh

gw204

Reaction score
Get yourself some spares while your at it. On my old boat, I had 2 spares for every single fuse on the boat, including the ones on the engine. I kept them in their individual sealed plastic bags and inside a small tupperware container to protect them.

Fortunately, I never had to use a single one, but it gave me peace of mind knowing they were there. :)

Double Eagle

Reaction score
I know the ratings are on the metal caps. That doesn't do me any good if they are stuck in the holder now does it. If it was that easy I wouldn't of ask any one!!!! I'm glad I decided to rewire them and they broke checking them out.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go in there with a needle nose plier and pull them out, the rating is engraved or lasered into the metal, usually. That's what you asked for in the original post.

As far as someone offering you a rating and if it doesn't matter what the existing fuse rating is to you, perhaps they are not so inclined, for your own good.

What pump do you have, what size wiring is running to the pump, is it all original or been replaced, etc.

On this site, I don't work for Rule or any other pump manufacturer, nor wire boats for a business, so I'll leave it there for others to reply.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
BobP said:
Go in there with a needle nose plier and pull them out, the rating is engraved or lasered into the metal, usually. That's what you asked for in the original post.

As far as someone offering you a rating and if it doesn't matter what the existing fuse rating is to you, perhaps they are not so inclined, for your own good.

What pump do you have, what size wiring is running to the pump, is it all original or been replaced, etc.

On this site, I don't work for Rule or any other pump manufacturer, nor wire boats for a business, so I'll leave it there for others to reply.

i use the ancor in line water proof fuse holders,these holders use the "atc" style fuses...i highyl reccomend you replace those fuse holders you have...
as far as fuse size goes...look on the pump,it states what it draws for amps...

and hey bobp,i'm real glad you don't wire boats for a buisness,after hearing your techniques,you wouldn't be qualified to push a broom or empty the trash cans in my shop... :wink:

Double Eagle

Reaction score
Jimmy, they are the original pumps. The one I can see is four foot from my reach and can't read what it says. I checked them out on the West Marine sight and looks like one of the biggest ones draw 6 amps. So I think I am going with a 7 amp fuse in my blue seas fuse box. The wires look like about 16 ga. or may be 18 ga. I'll also try to dig the old fuse out now that I have cut that holder out of my wiring and see what it says if I can get it out. 10 years old, time for some new wires.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How old are your pumps? Don't cut the fuse size that close to the rating. Try a 10A, it'll be fine with #18.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
Dug the fuse cap out of the holder and it looked like it said it was 4 amp. I am still going to put a larger one in.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
My boat is ten years old. Also my boat is trailered to lake Erie on the average of once a week in season from May until Nov.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may want to get a new pump. It's seen fresh water so far but it's cheap insurance.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to get to it!!! I need a four ft. screwdriver or five foot arms to reach it. It would be a good idea to at least check it out!!! Any ideas as to how to reach it???