Bimini Rail & VHF Antenna inference '90 Overnighter

TonyD

Reaction score
Hi.. this '1990 Overnighter is new to me and it seems some modifications were done to this boat but in odd ways. I am wondering where the original placement of the VHF antenna was on the 90 overnighter and how did the Bimini rest when not up?

It appears that the Bimini rests forward but when it does, the Bimini bar lays or is in the way of the VHF antenna mount. What someone did was take a pice of wood about 1" and screwed that into the boat just on the outside of the helm. Then mounting the antenna bracket to that. But it's still not accommodating as the Bimini bar lays on top of the bracket and antenna wire when resting.
I've taken it all off and trying to figure out the best way to modify this. bimini.jpgPXL_20220518_154541960.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never saw a Bimini lie forward. I’d be afraid it could inadvertently fly up. Really can’t offer anything additional.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After looking on the www,,,,, it looks like the bimini in question is an aftermarket one. The original bimini's were a heavier gauge SS with metal joints and end caps. They were designed to be laid forward like OP has his. The antenna mount looks to be lower down on the cabin sidewall to not interfere with the bimini.

craig boat 003.jpgScreenshot_20220519-052039_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220519-052226_Chrome.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
On my 208, I have the antenna mounted on the gunnel just forward of the gas fill. With a 8 foot antenna, I can ( and do) fold it down towards the bow and it lays up against the railing stantions ( or what ever they are called)
Cable runs down and over to the helm area then up the normal wiring riser on the starboard side of the helm, up into the dash area.
With the mount on the gunnel, you don't bump into it when using the walk around deck.

TonyD

Reaction score
Thanks, Ky - glad to know that's how the Bimini sat. I wonder why the antenna is so much higher on mine... I can't really lower it now, they drilled into the boat and I have 4 holes there..

Seasick, that's interesting placement. Doers the Ant' get in way with fishing or anything back there? Do you have a pic of it?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If I'm reading this correctly, it seems like you just need to re-mount the VHF a little lower? Fill the old holes... or use bolts with finish washers... or even make a simple cover plate for the old holes. Any of those options are super easy. You said you've already taken it all off, so you already have the holes to deal with at this point.

Other options are to (if there's room), add rear support legs for the bimini so it always stays in the up position.

Or add small support legs (with a boat-mounted fitting) to the long, vertical legs of the bimini. This way, the bimini would only go about 80% of the way down. It would be very secure that way (not bounce), but would be in your line of vision IF you'll be using the boat with the bimini folded.

Or... take the bimini completely off instead of folding it down.

Lot's of options!

seasick

Reaction score
When I fish, it is off the aft sides mostly. I rarely walk to the bow with a fish on so the antenna doesn't get in the way.

Here is a pic. You can make out the antenna on the left side of the photo.
DSCF1229.JPG

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, Ky - glad to know that's how the Bimini sat. I wonder why the antenna is so much higher on mine...

Since it looks like your bimini was aftermarket, your antenna was probably added later also. Whoever installed the antenna probably had the bimini in the up position while installing the antenna and didn't realize the location would interfere with the bimini when folded down. It happens,,, measure 5 times, drill once.