Boat Lengths

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was reading somewhere that if the bow pulpit and transom outboard extension are integral to the hull then these are included in the boat length, (eg. Striper) whereas a 228 is measured from bow to transom. If this is the case then a 228 would be about 25-6 footer if bow pulpit and pod are included. Not surprising that it is often said they handle like a bigger boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There is no "standard" in the industry. It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer... and even from year to year. However, the "LOA" is a more definitive measurement to include "everything". Length Over All. Also, the model designation is not always indicative of true length.

There are just too many factors at play to use a simple size measurement in determining how a boat rides. For example, the angle of the bow keel - in effect that determines the "waterline" length - or the amount of boat that is actually in the water.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes. One of the boats I had was 5.35m when I bought it and it “grew” into a 5.75m two years later for the exact same hull.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Grady gives the length of the mould as it were. They use the 22 foot hull in different configurations. They at one time 4 different boats with the 22 foot hull. LOA is 22 feet, 2 inches. Then slap on a pulpit and bracket with the walk-around config and you have the Seafarer 228. Change that out and you had the Tourney 225 or Freedom 255 dual console. Drop the bracket and keep the cabin and you had the 226 . Drop the walk-around and put in a center console you had the Fisherman 222.

Grady to me is honest about their boat lengths , if anything they under size them to the buyer. Mark my words though, I have argued with the marina at Key West and other places that wanted to charge me for 27 feet of boat. I wish I had an Islander but in the end I have a Seafarer.lol.

fathergoose

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that if the bow pulpit and transom outboard extension are integral to the hull then these are included in the boat length, (eg. Striper) whereas a 228 is measured from bow to transom. If this is the case then a 228 would be about 25-6 footer if bow pulpit and pod are included. Not surprising that it is often said they handle like a bigger boat.

According to GW dimensions spreadsheet the 228 is 27'-3" from swim platform to bow pulpit. It's 29'9" when you add the motor. Just had to measure mine to make sure it would fit in the rack at the high and dry. If you contact GW they will send you a spreadsheet with all of the dimensions of each model by year.

Fishtales

Reaction score
When you get into a slip every inch is measured. You'll have a 40 footer!

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
According to GW dimensions spreadsheet the 228 is 27'-3" from swim platform to bow pulpit. It's 29'9" when you add the motor. Just had to measure mine to make sure it would fit in the rack at the high and dry. If you contact GW they will send you a spreadsheet with all of the dimensions of each model by year.
Cool I have a 30 footer!

Fishtales

Reaction score
and a whole lot less $$ in your pocket!