Boat Safety Course NJ vs Opt out Exam

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NJ requires passage of a saftey course. I passed the Coast Guard Auxillary 8 week course on boat safety/handling and seamanship course in 1989, but have lost my card proving I passed. The flotila I took the course does not reply to my request for proof of passing it in 1989. Regardless, I do need a refresher on the subject material and beleive NJ still requires passing the updated exam. I qualify for and I am considering taking the 50 question opt out exam for $25, but need a to review for a refresser materials covered by the exam. My alternative is to pay $55- $60 and sit in an 8 all day course and exam that would qualify me.

Question: has anyone taken the NJ opt out exam and can recommend any online sites to study the material vs paying and sitting in a all day class?

I have reviewed the NJ Marine police site for the NJ boating laws now just need the naviagtion and boat handling section to review.

jehines3

Reaction score
I tested out in Maryland and could not have been happier. I've boated for most of my life, so reading for an hour on rules and regs and sitting for the exam was a much better use of time IMO. jh

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had signed up for the course prior to the state announcing their requirements and was glad I did. Here's the thing, you don't know what you don't know until it's put out there in front of you. Most of it is common sense but alot of the terminology, history of the origins, chart navigation and so on is all good stuff. If you get a decent instructor/class you just might find yourself coming out of this with not only having learned something but have e decent time doing so. when this first came out in Jersey alot of guys were scrambling to test out. Some guys who thought they knew it all found out differently, wasted their time and money trying to test out and were embarrassed in the process.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for input. NJ website looks thorough and will be a great study aid. I just spoke to a instructor at Coast Guard Aux who advised they ran an opt out test last spring and over 28 people attempted and only 7 passed. Being safe and knowing the rules and proceedures are number on the water so I will sign up for the one day course and both my wife and I will take it together. Will take the advance navigation course down the road.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SK, advanced navigation is totally cool. I for one have always been amazed at the guts required by ancient mariners to cross entire oceans with only the sun and stars to guide you.