Boating in Maine

lgusto

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I've been watching this forum for a couple of months and I must say there's a wealth of knowledge and lots of very helpful people.

My wife and I have just purchased a 2005 Gulfstream with a single F250. Since we'll be doing most of our boating in Maine we're pondering heat - to keep warm, brew coffee (my wife lives on the stuff) and occasionally cook something.

I've seen several posts recommending the Mr. Heater Buddy portable propane heater and that looks like a good bet for us. Any pros or cons from actual users?

For coffee it seems that 12-volt coffee maker is the best bet but I'm worried about how to do this on the run. We sure don't want the maker and its contents sliding around under our feet (the only 12-volt outlets on the boat are in the helm area). Any thoughts?

Finally, we've seen the new Gulfstreams with their built in stoves and would like to do something similar. How does everyone feel about the counter top propane stoves? Any better ideas?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as we prepare to get wet for the first time. Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.

Larry and Deborah
Bath, ME

lgusto

Reaction score
Picture

By the way, here's a picture of the new baby.

Stern.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congratulations on the new baby - she is really beautiful.

I've been in Bath a lot, back in the early 1980s. Will you be running the river to get down to the open water?

As to your questions. We used a small Coleman 1500-BTU heater for a few years, but this year we bought a Mr. Buddy Heater Portable. That's the one that uses a single gas cartridge and can do 9K BTU on High setting. It is more than enough to really warm our entire enclosed area when we are out striper fishing in January and February, so should take care of your chilly evenings in the Summer up there.. :D

As to the coffee, that is a bit tougher. If you have to make it while underway, you are likely stuck with a 12VDC coffee maker, or you could use a 12VDC immersion heater in a big cup to make instant coffee...

We have a single-burner butane stove but I wouldn't use it underway.

I also added a 1KW inverter and can run the microwave all day if needed. But again, while I would use it to heat a liquid while drifting or at anchor, I don't think I would do it underway. Too much risk of a spill, or a scald.

Again, congrats on the new boat.

Brian

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Nice looking boat. I owned a 2002 Gulfstream for five years and loved it. The heater buddy is the way to go, just be sure you have ventilation. I live on coffee and fish really early early, so I struggled with the 12V coffee options. I could never find a coffee pot that brewed quick and kept the coffee hot. Then, when ya get under way, ya got another problem with a pot of coffee thats bound to make a mess on the third wave.
Our solution: I bought a really big (12 cup) thermos (Nissan), it is awesome. It keeps coffee hot (very hot) for over six hours easy. When we do weekends I bring along one of those plunger coffee makers and boil water on a coleman stove. Speaking of the stove. I don't know why they put all that "stuff" down in the cabin, we never use it. I bought a two burner colman stove, a bait cutting board that fits in a rod holder and we always cooked out on the deck.
Hope that helped.

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks

Brian, Ken, thanks for the good advice.

Brian, yes, we usually run the Kennebec out past Fort Popham to reach the ocean proper. Always lots of good stripers and blues during the summer, mixed in with the occasional tuna, cod and haddock when we're looking for them. When we want to do the tourist thing with visitors we take the inside passage to Boothbay Harbor, which is a great day trip. This is also great way to sneak over and fish the Sheepscot river when the weather's rough. Hope to see you back up here sometime.

Larry

freddy063

Reaction score
coffee

We use the single-burner butane stove for coffee. I got a coffee pot from Carbelas works ok as long as some one holds it on the burner went moveing. We allso use a heater buddy , but only to heat it up after we wake up and make sure it's not left alone. It wouldn't take long to suck all the air out of the cabin. We allso got a small honda generator that we use for AC power, when needed. Mostely for the shower, we added a hot water heater, and is't really nice to take a hot shower after a few days out.
It's a nice ride up the Kennebec , been up as far as Gardiner. Haven't been up that far in a few years,but make it to Popham fort area.
We keep are boat down in Harpswell area, close to open water. I mostly fish south of the Boothbay , offshore. I like it out there less things to run into. But that Cat thing runs fast in all weather,got to keep a eye open for it. Well nice boat, maybe we'll see u out there this summer. Where do you run out from?

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks

Feddy,

We're hoping to launch in early April from Port Harbor Marine in South Portland and keep the boat there a couple of weeks. After the Kennebec River clears its winter mess (hopefully in early May) we'll keep the boat at the Kennebec Tavern and Marina in Bath. In between these two ports we're thinking of staying at one of the marinas in Freeport for a couple of weeks rather than continuing the long drive to Portland. Any thoughts on all this?

Thanks for the tip on the Cat. How far offshore do you fish? You have a Sailfish, correct?

Larry

Tashmoo

Reaction score
On the coffee front take a look at the system from Jetboil. It boils water in 90 seconds and does so even in moderate wind and then packs down into the size of a thermos when not in use. The owner is a client of mine and boats with me from time to time. I know that he is working very hard on the coffee thing with some new innovations coming out. Perhaps one for boats. WWW.jetboil.com

freddy063

Reaction score
I bought my boat at Port Harbor also, It cost so much for a slip or moreing there. I found that the Doplin Marina work Great for me. http://marinas.com/view/marina/10469 For 1000. buck stay there all summer, on a moring It's a nice quit place, but the weekend of the lobster boat race, them boys tend to party it up a litttle. The thing I like is it about it is that 30 min to portland the back way through the islands, and 5 mins to half way rock, and open water. With todays gas prices the closer you are to the fish the better off you start.
yes we have a sailish with twin 200's. http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showga ... user/14476 here is a few pic of it, it called "something good"
most of the time I have a spot about about 25 mile south of Boothbay , but take a few runs down to Jeffery's and cape cod per summer, gas prices might change that this year.
Dophlin marina is so easy to get to, even on the darkest night drunker that a shunk, you could find it, not that I tryed it that way. :lol:
Bath is a nice place to boat from, good river fishing. Mouth gets tuff, a few years ago there was a boat, to small for the seas, that a man died, right at the mouth by Popham point. when the tide and the sea mix there somethimes a chop mix thats worst that 8 foot seas off shore. Got to know your self and your boat. and if your thinking it time to put on a life jacket , it's to late.
Early April, waters still so cold,but doable. I'm hopeing to be in by may 1st. it all depends on how fast it warms up. Wax on, but comes off hard.

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks

Feddy, thanks again for the advice.

Beautiful boat, looks like it's a real fish slayer.

We're somewhat familiar with the Kennebec's difficulties but will certainly heed your warnings. It horrible how many drownings occur within spitting distance of the shore.

I'll have a look at Dolphin, but it's a very long (and slow and rough) drive for me out of Bath.

Hope to see you outside some day.

Larry

mlaforge

Reaction score
We live in Brunswick and keep our Grady at Paul's on Mere Point. Very reasonable (similar in cost to the Dolphin) but fills up fast. I think there's a waiting list right now.

Good to see other Grady owners on the site. Hopefully we will get out there in April if the snow ever subsides.

See you on the water.

Matt

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OCNSLR Brian didn't mention it this time unless I missed it, but he has a small portable Honda generator, good for such tasks, I hear they are very quiet, compact, and run on little fuel. When not on the baot can use at home when the utility lines go down next storm. Keep the fridge going, a few lights, and oil burner if you heat from oil.

Then you can acquire regular priced 120V appliances.
Making electic heat for the duration is not suitable for batteries and inverters. Propane is suitable. The generator is going to be challenged unless it's just the cabin on an overnight. The $50 1500W heaters at Home Depot / Lowes is plenty of heat.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
OCNSLR Brian didn't mention it this time unless I missed it, but he has a small portable Honda generator, good for such tasks, I hear they are very quiet, compact, and run on little fuel.

Ah, I tend not to think of the Honda EU2000 in terms of providing heat. We use the Mr. Buddy, Jr underway, and a small electric unit in the cabin when on shore power. EU2000 is for the AIR CONDITIONING :D :D

But they are fantastic units. I am about to purchase the long-run, six-gallon tank unit, so I can go for a few days w/o refueling the Honda.

lgusto

Reaction score
A quick recap.......

We've had our "new" Gulfstream for a little over a month and have covered a lot of the Maine coast from Kittery to Booth Bay. The Mr. Heater Buddy portable propane heater is indispensable for any chilly weather boating. And a good thermos is your best bet except for the overnights.

Thanks to everyone for their help.