Bolt replacement for trim tab anode (non hex)

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Had to drop lower unit and had a hard time getting the trim anode hex bolt out. It was stripping and got lucky by wrapping some electrolic tape and and tapping in with rubber mallet.
Anyone know of there is a standard bolt replacement. Found one on amazon but comments say they send a hex despite pictire showing a bolt on top.

Attachments

• 20200323_130546(0).jpg
    20200323_130546(0).jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200323_130543.jpg
    20200323_130543.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 20

seasick

Reaction score
The original is a hex bolt (12 mm maybe?) but some replacement kits have stainless allen bolts. The allen ones work fine but you may need to get the proper long shaft allen wrench.
I use a little anti-seize when installing since the bolts have a habit of 'welding' themselves to the anode.

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The original is a hex bolt (12 mm maybe?) but some replacement kits have stainless allen bolts. The allen ones work fine but you may need to get the proper long shaft allen wrench.
I use a little anti-seize when installing since the bolts have a habit of 'welding' them selves to the anode.
I prefer the metric, can imagine the headache if the hex strips again (and given the get stuck sometimes metric makes me feel better).
Just need to find one

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
This is what I ordered off ebay, will see if it is correct when it arrives. Sierra Marine Yamaha Trim Tab Bolt Replaces YM90105-10M00-00 M10 - 1.25 X 45mm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I prefer the metric, can imagine the headache if the hex strips again (and given the get stuck sometimes metric makes me feel better).
Just need to find one
"Metric" isn't in reference to the head style (hex head or allen head) - it refers to the measurement of the bolt length/width and thread pitch. It is not interchangeable with imperial.

If what you ordered doesn't work, a local hardware store (a real one) should be able to find you something that works. And can likely get you EITHER a hex head or allen head.

Reactions: imjus4u2nv

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Mine has metric, M10x 1.25 sounds about right and hex head 12 mm, you need to use 3/8 drive socket to get to it.
Yamahas are made in Japan and everything there is metric.

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't see the original bot at first but realize that it is chewed up most likely from using the wrong size allen wrench. Just accuse the motor is Japanese does not mean that every bolt you run into is metric, My Mercs for example drive me nuts since it seems that half of the bolts are ASA and half metric. That said the replacement trim anodes use a standard non metric hex head bolt ( 1/2 inch allen if I remember correctly)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tough now, but when things open a good marine store will match it up for you.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure what type of outboards you have but if it's Yamaha.....simyamaha.com has all the parts by motor years etc

seasick

Reaction score
One advantage to the Allen type bolt is that should it be necessary to drill it out, the hole makes it a lot easier to keep a drill bit in position.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I ordered one online and will see what I get, was supposed to be a hex. Unfortunately the Allen was stripped when I got it, and took some work to get out (used some electric tape around the allen and tapped in with a rubber mallet).

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If I worry about a hex head bolt and there is a question about corrosion on the threads, I always use a six point socket of the correct size, be it SAE or metric. The important part to me is 6 point, and not a 12 point socket. Given the softness of the anode itself, I have always been able to strip out the anode threads with the steel bolt and get the thing out.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I didn't see the original bot at first but realize that it is chewed up most likely from using the wrong size allen wrench. Just accuse the motor is Japanese does not mean that every bolt you run into is metric, My Mercs for example drive me nuts since it seems that half of the bolts are ASA and half metric. That said the replacement trim anodes use a standard non metric hex head bolt ( 1/2 inch allen if I remember correctly)

I understand what you are saying but I never seen anything made in Japan ( cars+ outboards) with imperial bolts. In his case someone may have changed the anode with one that wasn't genuine ( maybe made in USA?) and probably came with a new bolt, both same imperial thread.
Mercury is another story as they used other manufacturers engines and parts over the years as well as their own.