Bottom Paint Questions

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ended up getting my boat pulled for the season, but was surprised to learn that the entire bottom of my bracket was loaded with barnacles. Both my hull and bracket were painted prior to the start of the season, but only the bottom of the bracket had barnacles nothing on the sides or hull. Has anybody else had this happen before? I'm thinking of painting my boat moving forward. Any advice on brand or type of paint for the bracket and hull? I know the bracket needs a special type due to it being metal.

Also, what's everyone's typical prep prior to painting? I've been reading a lot but the feedback seems inconsistent, such as scraping peeled paint when the bottom coat is in good shape while sanding if it isn't? I thought it would be reverse. I'll share some pics once I get my boat back. I'm a little nervous about the temperature though as I've seen that you need to paint when the temp is over 50, but I do not see that happening unless I do it now for a March launch.

seasick

Reaction score
Which bracket are you referring to? The part of the engine that attaches to the transom or a bracket that hangs off the transom and then the motor hangs off of that.
In either case, whatever bottom paint was used on your fiberglass hall was probably not appropriate for aluminum if it contained copper as the biocide.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bracket that hangs off...

Frustrating as I thought I could get two seasons out of bottom paint but looks like it’s an annual job now.

Also, does anyone paint the bracket that is part of the outboard/ trim housing? Noticed I had a few barnacles there as well.

Really curious how some boats look that are rarely used. I probably went out 3 days a week for 4-6 trips weekly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd talk to folks in your area and see what they are using for paint. Each area is a little different and some paints work better.

seasick

Reaction score
Just to be sure, I was clear; If your bracket is aluminum and is is not well coated with some sort of barrier paint or powder coat, applying copper based bottom paint can be a costly mistake. It is far better to paint it with an antifouling paint like Trilux33.
The lower motor bracket and the bottom of the tilt/trim pump assemble is a similar situation. It should not be painted with copper based bottom paint. Trilux 33 will work but I have found that the aerosol can of clear Trilux just doesn't work and is a waste of $30. Trilux33 paint, not spray is too but is expensive if all yu are doing is the lower motor bracket.

I have had decent results with an spray can of Alumacoat but there aren't many (2 maybe) color choices. I just spray the different color. You need 2 coats minimum and 3 are better. It will help a lot but not 100%.
One more thing to be aware of; If the aluminum is bare and /or oxidized, paint wont stick well at all. Bare aluminum needs to be cleaned, perhaps sanded and primed with paint designed specifically for aluminum. Those paints have an etching effect that makes the primer stick well.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I do my own bottom paint but am looking for a new solution to my bracket, trim pump area as well. I used 2 coats of the West Marine outdrive paint and I'm not that impressed. This was the first season I painted the trim area, lots of mussels and barnacles prior.

I use an ablative paint. Interlux Micron CSC on the bottom. I use a power washer to remove any large strings of seaweed, but I'm careful to not wash the paint too much with pressure. I then scrap the barnacles off, then lightly sand with 3M pads while using respirator and eye shield. I have a shop where I can do this but need to use a double 2 x 12 plank to raise my trailer a bit so an old fat guy can wheel about underneath. Last year I had help, this year I'll tackle it alone.20200522_102358.jpg20200522_102227.jpg

Reactions: Blaugrana

Meanwhile

Reaction score
For my lower units that sit in the water I had some bare metal to deal with. I used this product after I sanded down the paint. I used the same West Marine spray on the lower unit. It seems to help a bit.Screenshot_20201108-132543_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the feedback....

Any idea how I can tell if I have a micron paint already on my hull? I understand you can’t mix right???

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can put ablative paint over hard paint but not vice versa. I've been using West Marine CPP ablative (made by Pettit). Its a 24% copper content. It should work well for you in Barnegat Bay. They have a sale in early spring it will be $99/gallon. Years ago they used to have 2 for 1 sale... that would be even better.
My father in law is in BB and he paints a coat every other year and touches up the other year.

I'm right at the inlet and the barnacles are tough. I paint a coat every year. I'm going to try West Marine PCA this time. Its 47.5% copper. I'm going to see if it is worth the extra $100 /gallon. i hope to catch the sale on that.

You could probably paint this week with 70 degree highs and be ready for spring. Otherwise its April before you get another chance

I use Trilux33 spray on the outboard bracket and trim housing that is below the water line. DO NOT spray the zinc anode.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the feedback. I need to start looking at some boats by me as I don’t remember any of the trim housings having paint. My bracket did but nothing on the outboard.

I’m hoping to get my boat next week but will look for any sales and buy the paint ASAP in case we get another window.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
There are charts online that can give you which ablative paints you can use with little prep, or a bunch of sanding. Hopefully you can find out what product was used.

As I pulled my boat today I took some photos. The bracket was spray painted with West Marine bottom unit black paint, 2 coats. A toilet paper tube is a good protector of the ram & seals, just the right size to tape on.

I usually have more barnacles so this last 2 coats did a good job. I'm less impressed with the West Marine.

The photo of the trim tab shows the anode that Bennett sells. They are almost gone.20201109_160338.jpg20201109_160343.jpg20201109_160434.jpg20201109_160444.jpg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How come you have anodes on your trim tabs?

What did you use on the bracket vs hull? You mentioned West Marine for both but were less impressed with west marine

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Spent last night reading and watching lots of videos. Looks like my ticket is finding out what was used previously as I wouldn’t need to sand.

Is that correct?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
How come you have anodes on your trim tabs?

What did you use on the bracket vs hull? You mentioned West Marine for both but were less impressed with west marine

I lost a metal screw and needed protection on those metal trim tabs.

I used the product pictured below for bottom paint, but the West Marine spray can was for aluminum outdives/lower units.13875.jpeg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks...see that as a popular one from the folks I talk to along with CPP.

I’m waiting for the Marina to call me to find out what they used on the hull as it worked well and why the bottom of the bracket was loaded with Barnacles.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks...see that as a popular one from the folks I talk to along with CPP.

I’m waiting for the Marina to call me to find out what they used on the hull as it worked well and why the bottom of the bracket was loaded with Barnacles.
West Marine has Pettit OdessyHD on sale this weekend for $190/gl (usually $220). It has 47.5% copper. It is comparabe to West Marine's premium ablative PCA (I'm pretty sure its the same stuff). I'm going to give it a try.
The CPP is not on sale. They also have 3x points this weekend.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks...Just reviewing it now. Very positive feedback.

Anything special from a prep perspective? Seems like the label says to use thinner and sand, but reviews said they just painted it over their old paint.

How would you do it?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks...Just reviewing it now. Very positive feedback.

Anything special from a prep perspective? Seems like the label says to use thinner and sand, but reviews said they just painted it over their old paint.

How would you do it?
well power washed of course..then I use a drywall "sanding pad on a stick"...then I use a rag towel to wipe and then an air compressor to blow of as much powder as possible. I am NOT meticulous about it...I'm sure it would be better if you wiped it with solvent.....

seasick

Reaction score
Power wash and a sanding or possible a good scrubbing with a coarse scotch brite pad. If you don't sand and/or scrub, your new paint may not stick well. After sanding, the hull has to be wiped down with solvent to remove the dust. You can but special cleaners from the paint manufactures or you can use acetone and lots of rags.
If you clean the old paint by power washing or sanding or scrubbing, rinse and let it dry, If there is a whitish haze, it is not clean enough. Try sanding a spot and wash and rinse. Let that dry so that you can see what a clean section looks like.
I also sometimes use a dry wall sanding pole but it is easy to miss spots.
I really hate the prep but enjoy the painting:)