Bottom Paint Removal

Gross Profit

Reaction score
My new(to me) '99 222 was stored wet and of course the bottom is painted. I see products at Boaters World that claim to remove bottom paint; everything from hazardous to enviro. friendly products. I know this is not an easy job, but how well do these products work? Any better than others? I also know there will be an issue of cosmetics after the paint is removed as the bottom was more than likely sanded to accept the paint. What are the chances that after paint removal I can compund and wax the bottom and have a somewhat decent looking boat? Price really is an object here. I bought the most used boat I could afford and there's nothing left right now. Later, I will be able to take care of things but I pretty much am going to have to roll with what I have for this season. Would this just be a cosmetic issue or could I damage anything by running the sanded and now unpainted bottom for an entire summer? Thanks in advance.

Billy

jehines3

Reaction score
Are you planning to wet store?

I was supposed to get mine soda blasted this season, but a little trailer trouble right now (and a new 1 month old) is keeping that from reality at the moment. The place where I am keeping it this winter is supposed to get me a price to block the boat off the trailer and blast it there.

As for whats under there, you'll never know until you uncover it. I've seen plenty of boats where there was no real prep at all, just slap paint on. Others a really roughed up finish. Trust me by the time you add up all the chemical stripper and the time to deal with it, you could have paid someone to blast the bottom. I price my time out at a very affordable $30/hr for any job. I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, electrical, plumbing, etc. I'm paying to have this one done, it is a much larger job that you might imagine. Some people are die hard DIY, I'm a realist with my time and energy, this is a very big job. jh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Somethings cost because they're worth it like divoce and stripping the bottom paint. It's a nasty job and you should have the proper protection.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
So does soda blasting further mar the gel coat? Let's assume the bottom wasn't prepped, would blasting screw it up? Will it remove all the paint? What would I be left with?

Oh and I will never store it wet. Will always trailer.

TBone

Reaction score
Look at this thread of a job jimmy'service did recently.

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6302

As for stripping it for you self, forget it!

I stripped plently of paint on old wooden GWs and repainted the bottoms. Not many of the chemical strippers live up to what they claim, at least in my experience, and there is another problem with DIY chemical strippers :x GRAVITY!!!!! when your under there scrappin' it has only one way to go, ON YOU, it's really a Pain in A--!

Im almost sure you will save by having it soda blasted as compared to the cost of the chemicals, scrappers, drop cloths, cover-alls, emergency room bills for eye irrigation, and above all the AGGRAVTION!

plus if you look at the photos Jimmy posted the blasting comes out much better and cleaner.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I just had mine soda blasted. It leaves the gelcoat w/ a 220 grit sandpaper finish. So, you won't get perfect exposed gelcoat. But it will remove ALL of the paint and allow you to see what condition the hull is in. I would NOT suggest stripping it and leaving it in the water unpainted. Besides the growth, the gelcoat will act like a sponge and soak the water up, so you will definately have blisters next year.

I spent approx $700 to get my 228 blasted. When I compare that to the hours I've spent on my back wearing a Tyvek suit and a breather sanding and sanding and sanding, it was well worth it.

Also, I'll be putting an epoxy barrier coat on it prior to applying bottom paint, so I should be good to go for years to come (except for reapplying bottom paint every few years, depending on the quality/type of paint you use)

petros

Reaction score
I started the paint removal and it's coming out pretty good.Counted at least 8 layers of bottom paint on this boat.All remova was done wetsanding wiyh 400-800-1000 compound and polish.I'll post some before and after pics.

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00576.JPG

DSC00638.JPG

DSC00687.JPG

DSC00637.JPG