Bottom Paint Removal...

Down Time 226

Reaction score
My Seafarer has a white coating on the bottom. I don't think it is antifouling, so I'm not sure why a previous owner had the bottom done this way. I don't generally keep the boat over for long periods of time so I don't want to add another coat. I would like to remove the paint and restore the bottom of the boat. Any ideas on removing this coating? Has anybody ever seen a white bottom paint?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lot of guys on this site have talked about "soda blasting" the bottom. It's softer than sand blasting and doesn't scratch the hull but takes off the paint. I'm sure the experts will chime in here.

Down Time 226

Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping for some good advice. I don't know what soda blasting entails, but I do want to preserve/restore the bottom finish. I don't see any signs that the bottom was previously painted a dark color. There are places where the white coating has barely come off and the hull looks good. Which baffles me as to why the white coating was applied in the first place.

TBone

Reaction score
Check out some of jimmys marine service links, he has a niceset of pics showing a soda blasting.

fishone

Reaction score
bottom paint

I am no expert at this, but could that white coating be a barrier coat ? I'm taking a guess here. I have never heard of anyone applying a barrier coat and not following through with a bottom paint but I have seen strange things before. :roll: If it is a barrier coat , your ahead of the game.