Bow Pulpit for 1985 Seafarer 228

2sailaway

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello, I have a 1985 Grady White 228 that never had a bow pulpit installed from the factory. I would like get get one put on the boat with a windless as well to make anchoring easier for me. Any suggestions on where I can get a pulpit kit or a configuration that will work for my model? Thanks for the advise, new to the forum.

Larry

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure how much the profiles change. Bought mine through a Grady dealer for my 2006 208. Comes with all the hardware to install and new railing which requires cutting the old to fit the new. Easy install. Tough part was removing the old anchor roller, Was installed with 5200, took of the gelcoat on removal. New Pulpit covered the damage. Good luck ! trapper

gw204

Reaction score
Don't have a bow pulpit, but I do have a Windline SS anchor roller that I need to get rid of. Let me know if you think you might be interested and I can post some pics.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Don't have a bow pulpit, but I do have a Windline SS anchor roller that I need to get rid of. Let me know if you think you might be interested and I can post some pics.

I am interested in the bow roller if OP is not, pictures and measurements would be great if possible.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2Sailaway, this topic went a little sideways, Did you find a bow pulpit? If so how was the installation? AS I mentioned getting the anchor roller off was the toughest part, and with carefull measurement of the rail cutting. trapper

2sailaway

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I understand the factory no longer sells the kit needed to make this work for my boat. I have been looking at the rollers mentioned in this thread but not sure ow this would hold up when retrieving the anchor under load, might bend that little piece of metal big time. Also need to figure on what to do with the running lights fixed to the bow if I do install a pulpit.In short I have not found a solution yet but will continue to look.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've been tossing around the idea of adding an anchor roller to my offshore. I think I have the same dilemma/concerns as you. However, I have plenty of experience with the Windline brand of anchor rollers and they are very sturdy - although the ones I have experience with are the double roller ones (the fwd roller being slightly lower than the rear roller). There's no question in mind that they would hold up - my experience with them comes mainly from much larger boats - it's 100% a non-issue with these smaller boats. A board underneath the anchor roller could always be added if you felt it was necessary.

As far as the lights go, I would have to go to side lights. Not a huge deal.

This picture is from my 28' Sundancer when installed the windlass, center cleat, teak (fake) and foot switches... but also used with 35'+ boats. This particular boat has the bow light mounted on a plate at the front/center of the bowrail with the wires run inside the rail.

2sailaway

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been tossing around the idea of adding an anchor roller to my offshore. I think I have the same dilemma/concerns as you. However, I have plenty of experience with the Windline brand of anchor rollers and they are very sturdy - although the ones I have experience with are the double roller ones (the fwd roller being slightly lower than the rear roller). There's no question in mind that they would hold up - my experience with them comes mainly from much larger boats - it's a non-issue with these smaller boats. A board underneath the anchor roller could always be added if you felt it was necessary.

As far as the lights go, I would have to go to side lights. Not a huge deal.

This picture is from my 28' Sundancer when installed the windlass, center cleat, teak (fake) and foot switches... but also used with 35'+ boats. This particular boat has the bow light mounted on a plate at the front/center of the bowrail with the wires run inside the rail.
What specific rollers are you referring to, can you link them here? I want something thats not going to bend under retrieval and looks decent also, thanks for your help and suggestions!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'll see if I can find it, or something close, on Windline's website later on. But in the meantime, even though it's not a great pic, just look on their website till you see something that matches what I have in that pic. However, even something smaller than that is going to more than strong enough for a small boat.

gw204

Reaction score
2sailaway, this is the one I have (link above).

URM-4

Where are you located? If it's anywhere close to me you are welcome to see if it would fit.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Look at the Windline that I posted pic of in this thread:

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/anchor-roller-on-a-1996-adventure-208.27835/#post-172155

Might be the same as Dennis', but I am not sure his has the angle to it. You don't have to worry about bending it, unless you have a super windlass, a solid backing plate, and an all-chain rode. The amount of stretch you would have in a nylon rode, before one of these bent, is scary to think about.
We had a tragedy here in NC a few weeks ago, where a good Samaritan was using a nylon line to pull a boater off a sandbar. The line stretched, the cleat pulled out of the stuck boat, hit the good Sam in the head and killed him.

Reactions: 2sailaway

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wow, that's really sad to hear about that good samaritan. Sad.

Actually, even an all chain rode isn't going to hurt a quality roller - there are plenty of boats out there using all chain (I had 50' of chain). A 22' boat is tiny comapred to the boats these rollers are used on. Other than some freak thing happening, which no one can anticipate, there really isn't a lot of stress put on them - the stress is primarily on the deck cleat. There really shouldn't even be much stress on the windlass as all it does is lift the anchor/rode. Unless you're using some kind of high end windlass like a Good, windlasses are not meant to hold the boat - not even meant to retrieve the anchor... you should be bumping the engine in fwd to help with that.