Bracket cap leaking - 1998 232

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello!

My 1998 gulfstream has a bracket full of water. The deck cap on the bracket is toast - anyone have recommendations on where to find a replacement?

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had similar issues. I installed Armstrong compression deck plate. Had to cut bigger hole in bracket to fit deck plate. You only have one chance so go slow and measure twice. Been in the water for a month and it's doing great. I wanted easily remove able plate so I could remove water from inside bracket if it started to fill up again. I keep the boat in the water and I don't have easy access to my trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: pessacake

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
After I looked lore closely I realized my issue wasnt the plate but rather the bracket started gapping away from transom in spots. Might have been bad caulk job finally giving out or wet transom morphing. I know the transom is a little wet so that likely is root cause. I'm trying to get another summer season and replace transom this fall. So I put 5300 around outside of bracket. First time it didnt stick so next time I did a lot of prep to remove bottom paint and other grime. Now I don't know if it will ever come off.

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thats no fun sorry to hear that. My issue is definitely the cap!

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Should be a good temp repair. Keep an eye out for any separation or tear out. It’s solidly connected but the underlying material may not be.

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had similar issues. I installed Armstrong compression deck plate. Had to cut bigger hole in bracket to fit deck plate. You only have one chance so go slow and measure twice. Been in the water for a month and it's doing great. I wanted easily remove able plate so I could remove water from inside bracket if it started to fill up again. I keep the boat in the water and I don't have easy access to my trailer.

So went with the 8" I presume the original hole was ~6? Sorry missed your post!