Brake pads for an '02 Suburban 1500 4x4?

gw204

Reaction score
What brake pads do you guys recommend for an '02 Suburban 1500 4x4? This is my wife' Burb and it spends most of it's time running the kids back and forth to school, going to the grocery store, etc. We don't really do any towing with it now, but in the future we may do an occastional short (about 15 miles), heavy pull to launch/retrieve my Sailfish or some long pulls (possibly to the Keys) towing my Mako 17.

A few years ago, I started using Performance Friction pads on my Cherokee and loved them. So, I put them on my Ram 2500 as well and hate them in that application. So, I realize what works good on one vehicle, might not work good on another.

So, is there another high end pad that works well in this application, or should I just use the best pads from NAPA or something like that?

Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think I put Hawk pads on mine, but forgot which version. How are your rotors? My original rotors rusted, badly.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Suburban brakes

I ordered carbon kevlar pads and gas slotted rotors from www.ERGbrakes.com for my 2001 diesel Excursion. They were pricey but this truck will STOP!!! I pull a Gulfstream 23 and a Warrior 2090 backtroller. Joe.

toolguy73

Reaction score
Use ceramic pads and drilled, slotted rotors. Both, not either or.

That combination is the shnizzle. Great stops. No fade. Longest pad & rotor life. The smarter Police Depts use them.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been using the new Bendix Ceramic pads on my Nissan Frontier. It's a heavy little mutha, and it stops pretty quick with no fade. I like the pads alot, and will buy them again. However, they are dirty, and are certainly not lifetime pads like Bendix claims. But I'll get about 40-50 K miles, and they DO stop the truck. Suggest going to the Bendix website - there's a tutorial for people who sell brakes professionally. The tutorial will take into account the type of driving you do and make appropriate suggestions as to the type of pad you should get. Naturally they want you to buy Bendix. But then again, it's a pretty good pad and I've never had a problem with any Bendix applications.

gw204 said:
What brake pads do you guys recommend for an '02 Suburban 1500 4x4? This is my wife' Burb and it spends most of it's time running the kids back and forth to school, going to the grocery store, etc. We don't really do any towing with it now, but in the future we may do an occastional short (about 15 miles), heavy pull to launch/retrieve my Sailfish or some long pulls (possibly to the Keys) towing my Mako 17.

A few years ago, I started using Performance Friction pads on my Cherokee and loved them. So, I put them on my Ram 2500 as well and hate them in that application. So, I realize what works good on one vehicle, might not work good on another.

So, is there another high end pad that works well in this application, or should I just use the best pads from NAPA or something like that?

Thanks.

toolguy73

Reaction score
hotajax

FWIW......

I run a parts store, and brakes are a touchy subject with our wholesale accounts. we can sell you four or five different grades of brake pads to fit your vehicle.

Some 'ceramic' pads are dirty, because they are blends of ceramic and semi-metallic formulas. The theory behind it is you get the ceramic benefits, without the higher costs of a full ceramic product. You also save money when you buy them.

Metallic friction materials dissipate heat better than ceramics. Ceramics grab better and last longer,but don't handle the heat as well. If they get too hot, they actually reformulate themselves into an inferior product. That's why drilled, slotted rotors are recommended with full ceramic pads. The holes and slots pull the heat out of the ceramic. When kept in their temperature range, they stop better, don't fade, and last much longer than anything else.

Metallics and semi-mets have always been dirty. Some more than others. Full ceramics are not, but the real ones are expensive.

gw204

The ceramic pads and 'performance' rotors are the best choice for reliability, and longevity. Just make sure they are full ceramic. If the parts guy doesn't know, or if you have doubts, go somewhere else.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The drilled rotors used to be for outgassing of the pads when they got HOT (and for looks). The slots also help against the outgassing and keep the pads cleaner plus you don't have the stress points of a drilled rotor. Most of the drilled rotors form stress cracks when they see a lot of heat.

Full metalic pads are not for the street.

How is less rotor material going to keep the pads cooler?

Seahunter

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with stock brakes on those trucks. Save your money and stay with stock.

I just changed the pads on my 01 at 102K miles. The rotors where still in spec but I changed them as well for good luck.