Broke off through hull...

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Noticed a bunch of above water through hulls are cracked on my 93 226. Reached in through the access port, and it snapped off with little effort. Now the barb of the through hull is broke off inside the hose. Hose drains the livewell. Not interested in taking it out of the livewell, because I cant reach under there.

Gonna be a fun evening...

Any tips? The hose is in good shape, just cant exactly grip the through hull, and cant really remove the hose to work at it. UV has made it so brittle, except for the barb thats in the hose...so I cant crush it and take it out in pieces.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Use a reciprocating saw blade, by hand, to cut the piece inside the hose. You're not having a problem with the part still in the hull, right?

26 years old... not a bad lifespan for plastic!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not at all a bad lifespan. the stainless ones I am putting in should work better though!

The part still in the hull was only the outside of the hull. The cracks are right at the fiberglass, so when it broke the nut came off with the hose. Then the rest disintegrated.

I am gonna get after the other ones with a heat gun just to see if I can prevent it.

I will try the recip blade. I figured it would be something like that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm still not quite following what is left in the hull and the problem you're having there. It sounds like it can just be punched/pushed out (from the inside). But if it was that easy, you probably wouldn't be asking. Or how about jamming something into the piece on the outside of the hull and twisting? Or using a hammer with a chisel/screwdriver the way you would to loosen nut/bolt. Or using the saw blade on it from the outside - cutting the same way you'll do the piece inside the hose - then pull the pieces out with pliers.

Got a pic?

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No, nothing is left in the hull. The part on the outside came out with my hand.

The issue is, the barb (where the hose clamp goes) is still in the hose. Broke off flush with the end of the hose because the plastic was super brittle. And the part left in the hose isnt brittle, because it got no UV over the years. Otherwise I could just crush the barb inside the hose witha pair of channel locks and get it out in pieces. No such luck

I will get it, but I also have five more to do. Hoping I can heat the hose up and get it off without them all breaking, otherwise my saturday morning is gonna suck.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
and as for pics, ill try, but its not really just a huge issue, just time consuming and a pain in the butt. Ill get it eventually.

seasick

Reaction score
No, nothing is left in the hull. The part on the outside came out with my hand.

The issue is, the barb (where the hose clamp goes) is still in the hose. Broke off flush with the end of the hose because the plastic was super brittle. And the part left in the hose isnt brittle, because it got no UV over the years. Otherwise I could just crush the barb inside the hose witha pair of channel locks and get it out in pieces. No such luck

I will get it, but I also have five more to do. Hoping I can heat the hose up and get it off without them all breaking, otherwise my saturday morning is gonna suck.

Usually it is just about impossible to remove the hose from the fitting. The hose has to be cut and even though you think the hose is good, it probably isn't. If possible I suggest you change it. IN addition, depending on the outside temps, you may need to heat the ends to get them onto the barbed fittings

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No need for pics - with your last description I understand.

I do agree with Seasick - inspect those hoses REALLY well - if they are also a quarter century old, the last thing you want is to have to do a "do-over" in a short time because of the hoses. There are easier hoses to work with, nowadays, too. In particular, the heavy duty, white, sanitation hoses. They have a smooth, slick wall to slide on easier -- soapy water... or sticking the end in a pot of hot water... or the heat gun method (heats up much faster than the black stuff, as well). They are still reinforced, but with a vinyl/plastic "wire" as opposed to metal.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ya, there are hoses that need to be changed for sure. The drains at the back...cracked to heck. They are being redone this winter when I redo the non skid on the floor. The hoses I am dealing with look brand new, and are pliable as a new hose. I'd not hesitate.

The hoses seem to have been great quality rubber hoses to begin with. Some boats of that era have that cheap plastic hose...