Broken Windshield

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, trying to to right by moving boat inland today from Hurricane Matthew harms, I took a rock in the windshield and shattered my front port side glass!

Now I need to find the options for repair. Has anyone gone through this before? What were your options?

I have contacted my insurance company today and filed a claim. They will most likely be sending out a inspector and go from there, but they do not help with finding who can do the work.

I prefer to remove it myself and take it to someone to replace the glass, or even if I have to ship it off somewhere. Just not sure who can do this type of work locally for a boat glass of this age.

I usually keep the boat down in Morehead City, NC during the summer and bring it home to Raleigh, NC when needed. I can begin the search in both locations, but thinking there might be more options down at the coastal area.

Please share your experience/thoughts! Bummed out! No fishing for a while!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Any shop that does auto glass should be able to help you with replacement. You may be on your own with R & R ...

teaklejr

Reaction score
I had the small cockpit vent window shatter on my Tigercat a few years ago and contacted Grady White about a replacement. I can't recall who they sent me to but was surprised they had one and got in no time. Call Grady up and see what they say, I am sure they will help you out.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Any good "Glass Shop" should be able to make the repair with the proper glass (I think polarized) for you, fairly easily.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks folks. I finally got the glass replaced with a glass shop down in Morehead City. First time they forgot to include the curve. It looks flat but has a slight bend. That was the first 3 weeks to get the glass. Then they re-ordered and put a rush on it and got it done in about 1.5 weeks. So overall, lost the entire last 2 months of fishing season so now she is home and winterized. The glass was exactly same as original green glass and can't tell difference other than the gloss is nicer!

I sure would like to replace the starboard side now that the port side is so nice and clear. No oxidation and much easier to see through in the dark when comparing them. I might take a shot at removing the glass and see if I can take it to a local shop over the winter and get a piece. I think that the top rail is all that has to be removed to slide the glass in/out or at least that is what it appears they did to during this repair.

They did say to replace the other piece, they would have to remove it for measurements.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I broke one on a Parker. They were able to supply with the exact match.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did originally go to grady dealer, but only option was to send windshield to a company in Florida or try a local glass shop. I guess one this old is not supported by the factory.