Buying a new polisher

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Need some opinions. Orbital vs rotary. I’ve heard that the good rotary machines can damage finish if not real careful. I’ve looked at shurhold, but Makita rotaries also have great following.

Opinions please

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bought this:

DEWALT Buffer/Polisher, Variable Speed, Soft Start, 7-Inch/9-Inch (DWP849X)

To get this....don't be scared of a polisher, the speed is controlled. I like the bigger 7" surface area. I own a Shurhold DA as well, but its not nearly as robust in operation20200129_133947.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
If you need to do some serious buffing (compounding) the rotary is the way to go. It is 'easier' to burn the gel coat with the rotary, you have to practice and go easy until you get the knack of it.
Variable speed is handy. Some have continuous speed control, some have step settings. It doesn't really mater.
Good rotaries are a bit expensive. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight and although it works fine, it is heavier than the more expensive models and the extra weight will tire out your arms much sooner than the better models.
The Shurhold randoms are good machines but as pricey as good rotaries. Since they have a 6 in pad, less area is covered in a pass. I don't think they are the best choice for aggressive hull restoration.
As I mentioned, good pads are key to good results and two sets of pads can cost almost as much as the machine!
If looking for a rotary, make sure you get a polisher and not a grinder. They look alike but the grinder runs at a faster speed and is not well suited for polishing.

Wax On- Wax-Off grasshopper! ( i may has referred to two movies:))

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a DeWalt also... sides of my boat are not nearly as nice as yours.. heh.. still trying to get all the striping off, so I can add the new ones. Not sure if it just needs to be sanded down and repainted or what, but not high on my list atm.. heh

R

SeaVee

Reaction score
Love my Shurhold DA, lots of good tips on their site

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I use a Cyclo buffer. From compounding to applying wax it makes short work of the job x and will not harm the finish.
You don’t lean into it just rinse the pads as needed and let it do it’s thing.
My go to compound it 3M finishing compound.
I like liquid carnuba wax from Meguiars.

Reactions: FLWhaler

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I not only keep my Grady nicely polished, but I also restore 13 ft Whalers (#8 is in the garage). Most of them are in tough shape with oxidation inside and out. I have a Shurhold DA, Makita rotary, and a variable speed HF 7" rotary. After trying them all, I use the HF rotary 90% of the time because it has the power and, as mentioned above, the 7" pad saves time. It is heavy so that is a negative.
As Seasick mentioned, the key is the pads. For heavy oxidation I use a Lake Country wool pad and for less cutting, the Lake Country purple wool pads. They hold up really well but you do have to remove the accumulated compound/gelcoat from the pad periodically. At the end of the day, I wash them in the sink with Dawn, let them dry and they're as good as new.
I know some like the foam pads, but I've never had much luck with them.
WRT the compound, the 3M Imperial works really well but their Restorer & wax does a nice job as well. Keep the pad moving and do a 2x2ft area and it will come out nice.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have an older Milwaukee 15A variable speed - sort of like one of These - and it's very useful for a variety of applications. I use it to buff and polish, sand wood (quickly) and cut steel with abrasive wheels. Variable speed is very important and worth the extra cost.

Reactions: UCPA111

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I would go with a HF rotary and pickup the older Shurhold. I might have $150 for both. Unless you are doing it everyday the HF will work fine. The main issue is when you press down hard the HF slows the motor and the good units don't.

I bought my Shurhold for about $100 on Amazon. Use the best backing plates for both devices.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I have an older Milwaukee 15A variable speed - sort of like one of These - and it's very useful for a variety of applications. I use it to buff and polish, sand wood (quickly) and cut steel with abrasive wheels. Variable speed is very important and worth the extra cost.
I have one as well and really like it. It's heavy and you need to be careful. But, I find it very efficient.
I also bought one of these and use on top side and detail areas. Worked really well. It was a gamble...but I am pleased.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My buddy has a Milwaukee 18V cordless polisher, expensive but cool

seasick

Reaction score
With respect to pads, Presta pads are available in a two sided version. To use you need the spindle adapter that converts the 5/8 inch thread on many rotary buffers to a square drive with a locking ball bearing. This arrangement enables the use of the two sided pads and also a relatively quick pad change. As I mentioned, the Presta accessories are not cheap, the adapter alone is $40 but they are top quality. You can easily spend more on a set of pads than on the polisher itself:)

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Presta makes great stuff! I switched from 3m over to Presta a few years back. Their backing pads are really nice.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the chemical guys pads. Check them out on the web. Many different cuts and Velcro attachment for quick change outs.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not trying to throw Shurhold under the bus, different things for different applications.

The "build" of the Dewalt polisher is heads and shoulders above IMHO. The Shurhold is Made in China product with a lot of great public relations videos which are helpful.

Buy the wool 7" polisher pad that Dewalt makes for compounding/buffing to use with the Dewalt Buffer/Polisher and
you will not be dissapointed!

DEWALT Wool Buffing Pad and Backing Pad Kit, 7-Inch (DW4985CL)

At boat launch yesterday testing out newly installed gadgets and picked up a few fish on downriggers n spoons, color of hull so buttery where I buffed her out.
20200215_214721.jpg

Last edited:

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I have been using a 3 step process for a long time:
#1 Flex XC3401 with orange foam pad and Collinite 920 hull cleaner
#2 Flex XC3401 and Flex XFE 7-12 with orange pads and Marine 31 Final Step Polish
#3 Hand apply with small foam pad Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax & Sealant.

Reality is I am detailing the boat 3 times. The boat is in a marina all summer and holds the shine on the hull the whole time

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I bought a Porter Cable Random Orbital last year. Nice unit, but not enough power for the gelcoat of a boat. I found that you really need a rotary direct drive for gelcoat. If you are just waxing a RO unit would be fine, but if you have any oxidation, you really need a rotary unit.

seasick

Reaction score
It's not so much the gel coat but rather the condition of it and the coarseness of the product used to buff/compound. You could wet sand the hull to a pretty fine finish and then use a RO to polish.
You may also find out that using a different pad like foam pad for compounding may work better than a fluffy wool pad. The wool pads when loaded up with goop can cause a lot of drag and load on the polisher. It is also best to apply the compound to the hull and not the pad.