Cabin bulkhead material?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can someone tell me what the lower portion of the cabin bulkhead is made of, below the fiberglass dash area? 2000 Seafarer. I am seeing some brown stains at the top and bottom of the 1/4 inch molding strip at the bottom, on the port side, which looks like masonite, or something similar. I know that the removable piece on the starboard side, covering where all of the cables come up out of the deck, it’s already getting mushy on the bottom edge. I plan to replace it with something like starboard, but lighter weight. I hope the bulkhead is not made out of the same material.DBFAFA34-A14C-464A-8B10-9C9C2A5ACD0F.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Might be good to shoot an inquiry to GW via the website. I'm sure they could answer it for you. I'd be interested as well. Not starboard but some other material. Seems to hold up very well over time and in the salt environment.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The bulkhead material is 1/2 plywood covered with vinyl. The starboard piece that covers the wiring and hydraulic hoses under the steering wheel is made of the same material. Mine was rotten and soggy from a windshield leak from the previous owner so I replaced it with Seafoam Starboard as the colour matched perfectly on my 1999 Seafarer. I have some pieces left that I can send a picture if you like.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. What was soggy and rotten, the bulkhead, or the corner piece over the wiring? If there is wood in the bulkhead, I am definitely going to take up that 4 inch wide baseboard, and see what is going on. Hopefully nothing, and I can just recaulk. The corner piece should be easy to replace.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The corner piece covering the wiring was very soggy due to water sitting and not draining out the floor drain I assuming the previous owner didn’t address. But I did notice some rot on the port bulkhead as well when cutting a hole for a speaker. I will watch that and may replace that entire bulkhead with starboard, seems like the vinyl over plywood is a weak spot for water.