Can a Grady White sink?

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"This label means that Grady-White has designed and built your boat to the ABYC basic flotation standard H-8. Basic flotation is defined as having enough foam, in the boat, to create buoyancy and prevent sinking under swamped conditions."

Does this mean she can fill with water and will not sink and not capsize?

R Ballou

Reaction score
Website
Weatherhead.CWRU.edu
I was told by Grady Customer Service regarding the 208 Adventure that the boat would likely stay level if capsized except if the boat had a hard top. Then, the boat would likely flip over on its side.

Brad1

Reaction score
My understanding is that a Grady White will not sink to the bottom. Not that it will stay level or upright, or that there would even be much of it above the water line, but it would not go to the bottom. So in a worst case scenario, assuming you could cling to what's sticking above the waterline, there aren't any hungry sharks swimming in your area and hypothermia doesn't set in, you'll come through the ordeal just fine. :D

I don't think Boston Whalers can sink. At least not go all the way to the bottom. Capsize perhaps, but not go all the way to the bottom.

liz

Reaction score
There are pictures here or on THT that show a capsized Grady. The boat turtled and a portion of the underside of the bow remained above water. The seas are calm and I'm sure in rougher weather the whole thing could be awash and offwer little to stay with. I think this is what is meant with basic flotation.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Any boat can sink under the right conditions. I beleive basic flotation means the boat is designed so that some portion of the boat will remain above surface vs 100% fully under the surface if swamped or capsized, but depending on the situation it can be simply be the bottom of the hull, enough portion to hold onto. Rely on having life rafts and life jackets.

Banana River View

Reaction score
By my post I was just trying to answer the question about basic and level floatation. As far as I can tell, no one implied that they were going to rely on the boat saving their lives if it sank. I sure did not and am always prepared.

I always ask people when they complain about how much good offshore life jackets, epirbs and rafts cost how much they would spend if their boat was sinking 80 miles offshore... priceless... BRV

Down Time 226

Reaction score
I have always been told that most boats will endure much more abuse from the sea than it's occupants can endure. That being said, when the going gets tough, or looks like its going to get rough, better start heading for port...and dont believe for a minute that the boat you are on won't sink or capsize. Filling with water and not going to the bottom is still sinking in my book.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, filled with water is sinking in my personal book. Any boat can sink, I've read about the "unsinkable" whalers sinking from time to time. Any boat can sink if you put it in bad enough conditions. Yes, Grady's are foam filled and will flaot under most conditions if water enters the hull. It will still be mostly under water, but will provide you with somethimg to hold onto. It is better then a boat that goes completely under, but regardless is not a good situation to be in.