Cannon Electric Downriggers Optimum vs Magnum 10

chadwick11

Reaction score
I rigging my 2002 GW 205 up with some new fishing gear for our awesome Great Lakes. I'm located in Michigan - fish Lakes Michigan, Superior, Huron, Erie and wish to Ontario some day. I have been trolling for the most of my life on the Great Lakes for salmon, steelhead, lake trout, brown trout and coho - so I have a pretty good understanding, but would like to get new equipment now that I'm back in the sport.

Not much posted here on downriggers - anyone have "field" experience with the Cannon Optimum riggers vs the traditional Magnum set up. I'm looking at getting two (one each side), fishhawk x4d, new graphs, etc...so is it the real deal to have the bottom tracking or am I caught up on the technology buzz that is overshadowing my judgement of spending an extra $1500 on downriggers where I could spend elsewhere?

Thoughts on cannon? Much appreciated any tips or experiences good/bad.

Jensenjk04

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not too much experience with Cannon, but I’m planning on getting the Mag 10s for my boat. Most of the guides in Seattle use the Mag 10s. Haven’t seen any Optimums outside of some fully sponsored boats.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I ended up going with a pair of Cannon 10 Magnum STX on my old boat. They will be transferred to my Gulfstream in the spring. They have been reliable for the past 2 years and I haven't had any issues with their function. I do like the auto-retrieve function that stops at the waterline. Pretty handy!

I do worry about the plastic composite body vs metal. I saw this fail first hand...I had one of the dove tails break on me and the whole downrigger + 2 rods are now at the bottom of Superior. Must have been a manufacturing defect. Cannon was VERY good about it and covered all of my losses.

Hope that helps
BB

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No experience with Canon, but I have used a pair of Scotty 1100 series (1116 in my case) electric downriggers for ocean salmon trolling the last 14 years with zero problems. Just need to tighten/tune them up occasionally. We are often trolling 250 to 300 feet down. For what it’s worth.

Reactions: JJMag

Salmon_Seeker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Scotty 2106’s and never look back. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative cannons will do the job for a few years. Chevy/Ford argument.

Reactions: JJMag

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I definitely like Scotty also they have lifetime warranties to the original Owners
!!

chadwick11

Reaction score
Not too much experience with Cannon, but I’m planning on getting the Mag 10s for my boat. Most of the guides in Seattle use the Mag 10s. Haven’t seen any Optimums outside of some fully sponsored boats.
Thanks for the comments - I was wondering if the Cannon Optimum was more suited to sponsored boats.

chadwick11

Reaction score
It comes down often to the economics - I'd rather spend the $1,000 difference between the two models and invest in boat autopilot or apply it to new electronics. Thanks for the replies - Chad