Can't find cabin rod holders!

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I came across a few very old post about the Rod storage - folding cabin rack (6), that was optional on some the Grady's, my 282 included. I can't seem to source them! I know a few people a while back made them. Any pictures installation tips even sketches would be a great help I really want this for the cabin of the boat. Thanks in advance

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey there... I am almost positive I saw some at Rusty Ron's Marine Surplus in Morehead City NC. He is one of the best sources for surplus Grady parts since he and Barb buy pallets of stuff directly from Grady all the time.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the older catalogs out. The toughest part is mounting to the side wall if you ask me. J cutouts to rest the rods and bungees to hold them down. Could also do something custom with rings like they have in the aft area on a couple of folding boards. Not difficult to make.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been debating more rod storage as well, just gotta figure out where best to mount them out of the way. Right now, they seem to fit well in my garage... lol.. sorry.. beat you all to that one ;)

R

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is what I just did to add (3) rod holders to my 2004 282 cabin. I removed the port window cover. Used the top two brackets to hold a 1/2" x 3-1/2" x 48" length of starboard. This now carries the curtain rail, which I removed from the original window cover. Added the (3) rod gunwale mount rod holder from Boat Outfitters seafoam (sku 13770-50943). Also removed the microwave and had a door made. (Paul Brinch made door and fabricated the starboard curtain piece. (I can give his contact info). The port window cover was a bulky solution to carrying the curtains. Removing it, opened up the space to allow the rod holders. Those of 7ft rods. More light gets in and the space feels more open.

Oceanbean
2004 GW 282 2019 F250's.

Attachments

• both rod holders 2.jpg
    both rod holders 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 34
  • door to cover microwave space.jpg
    door to cover microwave space.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 30
  • curtain holder.jpg
    curtain holder.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 30
  • curtains closed.jpg
    curtains closed.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 31
  • left rod holder and microwave door.jpg
    left rod holder and microwave door.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 30
  • look back at right rod holder.jpg
    look back at right rod holder.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 30

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is it. Not thrilled about drilling holes for the mounts, but once you drill the first hole, you are committed. They look nice.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I felt the same way. I took an approach that minimized drilling new holes. I will gelcoat the (2) from the unused bracket and it will never be a second though. The rods fit great. The cabin is more open and light. Much better use of the space. You will be happy

Stay safe and healthy.

Oceanbean
2004 GW 282 (19) F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
I always like it when someone holds my rod....