Canvas help needed

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I'm going to need to replace the entire set of canvas on my 228 with hardtop. I seem to remember A&J was the place to call but they have a few locations? I'm in no rush as long as it's done by April. Who should I contact?
Thank You...

seasick

Reaction score
Do you still have the old panels? If so, you don't have to go with the original maker for Grady. The canvas shops like a lot of other fabricators are backed up or slowed down due to supply chain issues.
Also state where you are located. Someone may have a local recommendation

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The A&J that does Grady OEM enclosures is in Vanceboro NC. None better. Call Lee at 252-244-1509.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I recently did mine at a local shop. IMO...instead of replicating the OEM, take some time now and think about what might make it better for you. Find a local shop and they'll look at it and measure and give you options and a price.
I changed color (to white) and materials (Stamoid fabric and rigid polycarbonate front glass) and layout of pieces. Got rid of two zipper lines on each side because I never take the side off anyways. The front and back door flip up and fasten into place. No more rolling. I could not be happier.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I do have the old canvas and would like to make some (simple) modifications. Like eliminating the roll up tabs on some panels. Thinner Isinglass on the front roll up panels. I think I want black canvas.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A&J in Vanceboro NC is the correct one. I had a choice of the navy or the white and just stayed with navy. Since Lee does the factory enclosure for Grady-White, not sure she will stock black. You can always check with her.

My 228 enclosure in navy.

20170813_094947.jpg
20200910_180349.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can you give me an idea on cost?
I replaced all the glass in mine recently but reused the canvas as it was still in fine shape. Was a little over 1000. To completely redo I would imagine is at least 2x that. There is a good shop in CT that does a lot of Grady work.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Actually I am located in Connecticut. If you recall which shop is in Connecticut let me know..

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Call Chris at Harbor Marine canvas in Cos Cob. Great guy and does really good work.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If your in CT, talk to Seafarer Canvas in Norwalk. have used them for all my enclosure, cushion needs. They tend to be the higher end of the spectrum on price, however it is top notch work. They very responsive and are one of the easiest people in the marine industry that I have worked with. Stitching/snaps and zippers are guaranteed and usually fixed at no cost if needed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The A&J that does Grady OEM enclosures is in Vanceboro NC. None better. Call Lee at 252-244-1509.
^^^ This!

If you have the old canvas, send it down to pattern. If not, see if they have the pattern. Ask for the tools to install the snaps as you will want to match up to the boat (they will loan them to you). This is very easy, but best done on the boat. If you send yours down, fold up tight and put in a USPS box. If you fold it tight, you can fit into a relatively small box and ship it for short money. The replacements will come in large cardboard tubes that cost close to $90 to ship as I recall (NC to MA).

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I know a great shop in Norwalk. My neighbor had a complete flybridge enclosure on his boat made . I use a guy in Greenwich, has done all the work on my chris craft .

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I recently did mine at a local shop. IMO...instead of replicating the OEM, take some time now and think about what might make it better for you. Find a local shop and they'll look at it and measure and give you options and a price.
I changed color (to white) and materials (Stamoid fabric and rigid polycarbonate front glass) and layout of pieces. Got rid of two zipper lines on each side because I never take the side off anyways. The front and back door flip up and fasten into place. No more rolling. I could not be happier.
Could you post pictures showing how yours is different from original? I'm going to have to replace mine soon.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A&J in Vanceboro NC is the correct one. I had a choice of the navy or the white and just stayed with navy. Since Lee does the factory enclosure for Grady-White, not sure she will stock black. You can always check with her.

My 228 enclosure in navy.

I just have to say Ky Grady - you have the perfect boat!!! Damn!!!

Reactions: Ky Grady