Canyon 376---getting the bow down

Ronrog

Reaction score
After using my GW Canyon 376 for almost 200 hours, I have found very few things that I really don't like about it, except when I'm running slow at sight-seeing speeds (5-10 MPH). At those speeds I find it hard to keep the bow down, even with the use of the trim tabs and changing the motor angles. I use the boat about 70% for fishing and running fast and the other 30% for easy and slow cruising. So I would like to find a way to satisfy both of my boating needs.

My dealer has suggested a modified trim tab to place over or under the stock tabs. He is experimenting with some options and will get back to me.

I'm wondering if any of the GW membership has had any similar experiences and have they had any possible solutions to this problem.

When running low and slow, I like to be able to see in front of the boat, for safety reasons. I realize the 376 was built to run faster and in more open waters but that is not the case with my boating needs, some of the time.

Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have personal experience with your particular boat, but generally speaking you have a planing-style hull. These types of hulls just simply were never designed for this type of speed. At that speed you're making a big hole in the water and trying to push it out of the way - very inefficient. However, increasing the size of your tabs will certainly help - Note that typically span (width) is more important than chord (length).

You might consider looking into a trawler-style hull as they ARE designed for exactly what you are looking for. Just a suggestion!

Ronrog

Reaction score
Dennis..I appreciate your advice and have modified my post to show the way I use the boat...mostly for fishing and running fast. Thanks for your response.

Ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not sure tabs will do much at all at that speed. my 330 tabs don't kick in until higher speeds. if you have trip 350's, that's probably the bulk of your problem. if so, you're going to need to shift weight forward. again, different boat, but i don't get bow rise until i start throttling up to plane. hope someone here with a 376 can give you more pointed info. good luck, ron

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bigger tabs will certainly help - especially adding width, but length will help, too. But, as Elyse said, the faster you go the more effect they have and at very slow speeds there will be less effect. Do you have Bennett or Lenco tabs? If Bennett, I would give them a call directly - ask for Tom. Discuss it with them and see what options you have with your existing hydraulic rams - you can only go so much bigger until you have to add another ram.

Are your tabs "built-in" to the hull on your model? That might limit you to what you can do... but if there's room you may be able to add another set (call it your "low speed" set).

You could try experimenting with putting dead weight up in the bow and see how much weight you would need to meet your expectations.

Out of curiosity... what if you backed off the RPM's just a bit to lower the bow. How much slower would the boat be going? Maybe it's only a couple MPH? If you can live with a few MPH slower, the problem is solved for free!

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
same issue on my 336 canyon at certain speeds, I keep 2 small boat cushions on board and sit on one and put the other behind my back and the additional 2" in height seems to help. Sometimes i find pulling the drivers seat closer to the steering wheel helps also.

The truth is, the drivers seat console should have been a bit higher on the 336 and 376. they are fine at most cruising speeds but at certain speeds, the bow blocks vision.

I reached out to prop gods on THT, he suggested a different propeller would lift the stern a bit and also help this issue...have not tried that

Ron, say hello to Denny for me..glad you like the boat

Ronrog

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions...this 376 Canyon is a "keeper" , but like everyone, I'm always looking for any improvements...I think I will try the larger trim tabs, as its the easiest and least expensive possible solution. Our season on Lake Ontario is almost over, so its not a big issue right now.

Ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i thought you guys just put skis on everything when it gets cold. :mrgreen:

i still think tabs aren't going to help much at such a slow speed. i would correspond with Tom (Tabman from Bennett) before you go thru the time and expense. he'll provide the last word, so to speak. good luck, stay warm. ron

Tabman

Reaction score
Until you get in to speeds of 11 to 13 or more the trim tabs are really not going to have any affect on the boat's attitude. We have seen some semi displacement fast trawlers benefit from really long span (side to side) Tabs at speeds as low as about 11, but the tabs were huge. 42" x 12" on a 34 foot boat!

The Tabs on your boat are in pockets and adding span is pretty much impossible. That leaves adding chord (fore to aft). Adding chord is the least efficient way to add lift since a lot of water pressure escapes out the sides in relation to the added surface area.

5616833_20160303080918607_1_XLARGE.jpg

Additionally if you add chord, the pocked tabs will now sick past the transom and want to catch water as you back down. This can put tremendous strain on the actuators and cause damage that can lead to the loss of a trim tab.

To have a chance of working the addition would need to be very large. I don't think it would be worth it.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Ronrog

Reaction score
Tabman

Thanks for the excellent technical info and it all makes good sense, even to a a somewhat novice boater. I guess, I'll live with this small pet peeve and just enjoy all the other positive benefits of this boat.

Everyone's input and suggestions have been greatly appreciated.

Ron

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Have you thought about negative wedges between engine and transom? Downfall is that you won't be able to trim up all the wat.