Caulk Question on GE Silicone II choice

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have read it is almond for the color and GE Silicone Caulk II. Many say kitchen/bath version and it is fine but I would think UV rays and temperature changes would be an issue. I had always been told to use the window/door version outside. But I do see the benefits of having it with mold prevention. Do all still agree that kitchen/bath Silicone II Almond is the correct way to go?

seasick

Reaction score
ayacht said:
I have read it is almond for the color and GE Silicone Caulk II. Many say kitchen/bath version and it is fine but I would think UV rays and temperature changes would be an issue. I had always been told to use the window/door version outside. But I do see the benefits of having it with mold prevention. Do all still agree that kitchen/bath Silicone II Almond is the correct way to go?

This is a really good question and I have to admit, I didn't know the answer. So I went to the GE site and read about all the different silicone caulks. It looks like the two major differences between Silicone I and II window and Silicone I & II bath is that bath has a mildewcide and Window cures faster. For outside work where there might be rain the future, Window is prefer ed.
So for the boat, on things that may get wet and stay wet, I would probably go for the Bath variety. Note that GE states that no silicone caulk is intended for submersion or constant water. There also seems to be a new caulk, GE Silicone II KB supreme which has the features of both, fast cure and mildew resistant. I would probably use that if available.
All that said for deck plate sealing , deck panels etc, some folks use black silicone. You have to apply neatly using masking tape to get nice lines but the up side is that it doesn't show dirt or mildew since it is already black!

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
ayacht said:

This is a really good question and I have to admit, I didn't know the answer. So I went to the GE site and read about all the different silicone caulks. It looks like the two major differences between Silicone I and II window and Silicone I & II bath is that bath has a mildewcide and Window cures faster. For outside work where there might be rain the future, Window is prefer ed.
So for the boat, on things that may get wet and stay wet, I would probably go for the Bath variety. Note that GE states that no silicone caulk is intended for submersion or constant water. There also seems to be a new caulk, GE Silicone II KB supreme which has the features of both, fast cure and mildew resistant. I would probably use that if available.
All that said for deck plate sealing , deck panels etc, some folks use black silicone. You have to apply neatly using masking tape to get nice lines but the up side is that it doesn't show dirt or mildew since it is already black!

I was after the difference between the 2 Silicone II Varieties not I and II. BAth/kitchen vs. Door/Window. I did see that new version too. UV protection maybe the difference between the 2 but cannot find it.

seasick

Reaction score
If anything, Window would have better UV protection I would suspect, but Bath has more mildecide. I would still opt for Supreme Bath.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have really been liking the fluid properties of the Bath series and the Almond color is spot on for the Grady! Getting ready to seal all the floor panels soon with it. Light color and silicone should hold up well in the sun I would think for many years. Not that hard to remove if it doesn't hold up well, so will see how it holds up over time.

greenhabah

Reaction score
I used the kitchen and bath on my front panel and the UV rays killed the color in one season.

On my back panel I used the window and door and it has held up for 2 seasons now.
If/when I do the front again I will use the window and door.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had a soft spot in the forward hatch. Pulled both hatches and sealed with outdoor window stuff. That's what I used in the past and it has held up great. Have tried many tools in the past to smooth out the caulk. Best thing I've used is a wet rag. Water seems to work the best for cleanup; BUT the caulk has to be wet.

seasick

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Had a soft spot in the forward hatch. Pulled both hatches and sealed with outdoor window stuff. That's what I used in the past and it has held up great. Have tried many tools in the past to smooth out the caulk. Best thing I've used is a wet rag. Water seems to work the best for cleanup; BUT the caulk has to be wet.
Silicon caulk can be spread with your finger and isopropyl alcohol. Water is not the best liquid for the task. Of course you could wet a rag with the alcohol but it evaporates quickly.

NC Bill

Reaction score
Try a plastic spoon. Works great and the caulking will not stick to it.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the UV protection is for the surfaces under the caulk, 100% silicone should not need UV protection. Use the bath to eliminate (help prevent) mildew and even without the UV protection it will last longer than anything else on the market.

If you can use water to clean up and dress the silicone, you probably are using "siliconized" acrylic caulk. Not good. 100% silicone cannot be cleaned up or dressed properly with water, you need a solvent.

I never thought of using black, but it's a good idea if you are going to recaulk the entire deck.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Saw a post here a while ago about using water soaked rag. Keeps the caulk from sticking to anything. I never mask and wait for the caulk to dry. Excess just peels off. To me, solvent & seems to make the caulk spread and thin too much. Plastic spoon sounds like a great idea.