Center rigger/Outrigger Question

MRT

Reaction score
Going to be adding a center rigger, but not sure what length pole to go with. Will be installed on a 330 - any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know which model outriggers grady installs? I know they are the layout style and they are manufacuted by Lee's, but not sure of the specific model.

Thanks.

Matt

Kevcros

Reaction score
MRT- Lee uses the Lee Pro Series outriggers on the 33--

I installed a Lee fixed angle center rigger and a 12' pole and it works great-- I double rigged the Center rigger---

MRT

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. How do you like the fixed mount? I am guessing you have the 45 degree - any idea of what your brigde clearance is?

Kevcros

Reaction score
The center rigger ? It works great for me -- I have no bridges so dont have any clearance issues---

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are worried about bridge abgle, the center rigger will be just as high as the Lee Pro's, and the Lee pro's are a pain to lower.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have been told that the center outrigger should be the the tallest outrigger so depending on how high your side outriggers are your center pole should reach higher.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When trolling, the center rigger will be your tallest rigger. When your side riggers are in the up position, they will either all be around the same height, or your side riggers will be taller. That is why I had stated that for purposes of bridge clearence, your side riggers are more of a problem then your center rigger.

MRT

Reaction score
Fortunately, I do not have to contend with bridges often, but when I do I can lay the outriggers back and restrain them with a pull rope. The idea of having to remove the center rigger to gain clearance is not appealing...

Tom-Lisa

Reaction score
I have a lee's 22 degree center rigger mount with a 12 ft pole on my marlin.It does not stick up any higher than my vhf antenna mounted on the hardtop.This may help to visualize how one may look on your boat.

Tom

MRT

Reaction score
Thanks Tom - that helps a lot. Can I ask why you chose the 22 degree base? I noticed Tony (Sally Ann) has the 22 degree base as well. When I spoke with Lee's earlier today they recomended the 45 degree base. However, after reading your response and seeing Tony's pictures I am wandering if the 22 degree base is really the way to go.

Tom-Lisa

Reaction score
MRT
I must admit offshore fishing is new to me.I am still learning.The 22 degree base was recomended to me by some other local grady owners who are avid offshore guys.I probably wouldn't even have one except i found a complete set-up on line a while back with a price i couldn't pass up.Like i said i am still learning so i hope it was the right choice.Sorry i don't have more hands on info.

Tom

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I had the 45 degree 12 foot pole on my Gulfstream. I would not consider anything less than 45 degrees. However, it really depends on how you intend to fish. I will be using a vertical ZERO degree 10 foot pole that fits in my roof rod holders on the Canyon Draggin'. Jim at ARC-TEC is custom designing it for me. For us, the point is to get your center line up WAY up and outa the way so you can send it WAY back, 750 to 900 feet. You can then freely maneuver the boat with less risk of tangling lines. It also allows us to send back a "flock of birds" 300 to 400 feet and then slide a few flying fish down the line using release clips and independent poles. Kinda like a green stick.
Just my 2 cents.....

Shutterbug

Reaction score
As most have stated it's my opinion too that the center rigger should be taller than your outriggers when they're in trolling position. I've made my own and the first was not as mentioned. The running line of the reel entered the water ahead of the line on the 2 long riggers regardless of how far back it was sent.....not good. Upon changing, the center rigger is now taller in trolling position, it's not a problem.

pablor

Reaction score
this may be an old thread, but I will ask the question anyway. where to you screw the eye hook at the boat for the center rigger? it looks by the picture shown here that the lanyard is rubbing against the hardtop and that you may need a stool if you are short to send the line out with your release clip.

Thanks

tony-sally

Reaction score
pablor said:
this may be an old thread, but I will ask the question anyway. where to you screw the eye hook at the boat for the center rigger? it looks by the picture shown here that the lanyard is rubbing against the hardtop and that you may need a stool if you are short to send the line out with your release clip.
I use toggles on the landyards
this way I can ajust the length
of the pulls.by shorting I'am
able to keep the pulls short
and still tight with a bunggie
attached to the hard top. then
when lengthened the bunggie
can be moved down so you can work
the release Tony
Thanks

pablor

Reaction score
I am having a hard time visualizing this... can you explain further?

tony-sally

Reaction score
center rigger

pablor said:
I am having a hard time visualizing this... can you explain further?

pablor go to photos fourm great grady 1st page look up 33 grady
Sally Ann 3rd page shows how the double pulls are cliped high
in photo #5 then down to almost the bottom of page you'll see
a photo with the release clips where they can be reached you have to look hard its not the best photo their is a toggle on the landyard
cord that allows it to lengthened or shortened and still allows the
landyard to run up and down the rigger hope this helps let me
know

Tony