Changing trailer wheel size

mannoe

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a 1988 LoadRite single axle trailer that I use to haul my 20' GW Overnighter. I'm pretty sure this is the original trailer sold with the boat when it was new. The trailer is in very good condition but tires are totally shot and need to be replaced ASAP. They are on 16.5" rims and try as I might, I cannot find replacement tires to fit this trailer. Was wondering if I could downsize to 16" rims/tires which are widely available. There's plenty of ground clearance now so I don't believe the slight loss of wheel/tire radius will affect the capability or handling. of the trailer. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts,/suggestions about changing trailer wheel size?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have you tried tirerack.com? I've had great luck with tires ordered from them.

Reactions: mannoe

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
I had a single axle trailer under my Overnighter with 15" wheels

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks. Found the tire at Tire Rack
They ship for free and for central Florida it only takes about 2 days. I just ship to my house and have my local tire shop mount and balance.

mannoe

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
They ship for free and for central Florida it only takes about 2 days. I just ship to my house and have my local tire shop mount and balance.
Actually, I found another and better source. Check out Easy-Tire.com. Great prices, immediate delivery, and free shipping .

mannoe

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Have you tried tirerack.com? I've had great luck with tires ordered from them.
Also received a response from LoadRite. There are apparently no design/mechanical/performance issues when reducing wheel size from 16.5 to 16.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Actually, I found another and better source. Check out Easy-Tire.com. Great prices, immediate delivery, and free shipping .
That web address appears to be for sale and just provides links to other sellers, including tire rack. I have no experience with Easy-tire.com. Be careful who you order from, but I can vouch for tire rack as safe and efficient.

mannoe

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That web address appears to be for sale and just provides links to other sellers, including tire rack. I have no experience with Easy-tire.com. Be careful who you order from, but I can vouch for tire rack as safe and efficient.
Thanks for the warning Bill. I decided to go with Tire-Easy although I was a bit apprehensive after your comments, and also after reading some pretty negative reviews of this outfit on-line. The new trailer tires (16.5") arrived yesterday, just 3 days after ordering (free shipping). The process has been smooth so far... the vender emailed updates when the tires were shipped and set a projected delivery date which was right on. The tires are exactly as ordered and 1/2 the price of the same ones at Tire Rack. I'm having them mounted next week and will then road test them to see if they are round ...no flat spots, etc. Hope all goes well. If so I think Tire-Easy will become my go-to place for tires. Will keep you and forum readers apprised.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the warning Bill. I decided to go with Tire-Easy although I was a bit apprehensive after your comments, and also after reading some pretty negative reviews of this outfit on-line. The new trailer tires (16.5") arrived yesterday, just 3 days after ordering (free shipping). The process has been smooth so far... the vender emailed updates when the tires were shipped and set a projected delivery date which was right on. The tires are exactly as ordered and 1/2 the price of the same ones at Tire Rack. I'm having them mounted next week and will then road test them to see if they are round ...no flat spots, etc. Hope all goes well. If so I think Tire-Easy will become my go-to place for tires. Will keep you and forum readers apprised.

Your original post said "Easy-Tire" not "Tire-Easy." That was why I said what I said. I'll look for Tire-Easy and use them if they are better.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Before you mount them... check the date code on the tire. You don't want to get stuck with "new" tires that have been sitting on a shelf in some hot warehouse for 4 years a because that company buys tires that other companies are getting rid of because they have "expired". Otherwise, that little bit of money you saved goes away awful quick when you're changing a tire on the side of a busy highway in the middle of heat wave. ;)

16.5 vs 16... as long they carry the same load capacity, you're fine... and you can get 16" rims to fit the existing hub pattern, as well.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis, you would hardly ever wear trailer tyres out. I change my tyres every 5 years and make sure the new ones I buy are fresh stock less than 12 months old and preferably less than 6 months old. I just changed my trailer tyres they still had plenty of tread but they are over 5 years old. I don't use none radial trailer tyres either , I use 8 ply light truck radial tyres, in my case Bridgestone, 195x70x15 , 106 load rating.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis, you would hardly ever wear trailer tyres out. I change my tyres every 5 years and make sure the new ones I buy are fresh stock less than 12 months old and preferably less than 6 months old. I just changed my trailer tyres they still had plenty of tread but they are over 5 years old. I don't use none radial trailer tyres either , I use 8 ply light truck radial tyres, in my case Bridgestone, 195x70x15 , 106 load rating.
While it is true that most trailer tires need to be changed due to age, the single most important factor for excessive wear is tire pressure. It's not a car and the tire should be trailer specific and inflated to the recommended pressure listed on the sidewall. Unlike car tires that usually list the maximum pressure.