Cockpit bolster vinyl aging

Deep Blue

Reaction score
My cockpit bolsters are white and in great shape but the very top of them is turning brown. I looked closely and it appears that due to the sun the vinyl is losing its color. Other than replacing them, does anyone know if GW makes an upholstery paint for Sailfish?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say the are breaking down anyway and probably need to be replaced. Check local shops and get some quotes. You may be able to do it your self. Will need material, monel staples, weep grommets and likely marine thread and a good sew machine.

FIFY

Last edited:

canvasguru

Reaction score
You can also call car dealerships in your area and ask who they use for vinyl seat repair. I call our guy for gaff holes and stuff. He fills the hole and air brushes with a paint that adheres to vinyl. It will have a slight shine to it but usually saves customers alot of money for just a little hole.

seasick

Reaction score
I'd say the are breaking down anyway and probably need to be replaced. Check local shops and get some quotes. You may be able to do it your self. Will need material, SS staples, weep grommets and likely marine thread and a good sew machine.
If they are straight pieces, they are a lot easier to redo as opposed to the ones with curved corners like my 208.
Note that the correct staples to use are monel not stainless. If you look at a pack of stainless staples in Home Depot, it says right on the box 'Not for marine applictions'

HD doesn't carry monel staples.You can find them on Amazon.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm going to take out the set on my Marlin and have them all done. 13 seasons was a good run.

seasick

Reaction score
I'm going to take out the set on my Marlin and have them all done. 13 seasons was a good run.
If I could get a wash-down pump or a fresh water pump to last for 13 seasons, that would be a great deal:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
i've had good luck this far. i'm sure they will go at some point.