Color match gelcoat

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a quart of off white factory gelcoat and I need to match it to the deck which is white and faded.

Any tips or tricks. I tried to take some white to it but it just doesn’t quite match. Maybe it will never match perfectly.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you try compounding the deck to bring back the original color?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have some holes and chips in the gelcoat that need to be ground out and filled. Couple on the deck and a few on gunwales. So need to try to match the white.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used Spectrum white and added a very small amount of brown pigment, matched really well.

UCPA111

Reaction score
What are you guys using for the gelcoat repair? I have a few spots I could do also.
I purchased spectrum color match. My boat is a 1984. I had to buff out the existing and the color match is very close.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I must be getting old. I'd experiment adding pigment until close and go with it.

Reactions: mmiela

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is what I did. I took the Grady off white and added white till it was close. I put some gelcoat on the boat without hardner and it matched pretty close.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So let me get this straight, I could use Marine Tex to fill in the gouge/scratch, then color match the gel coat to blend it in nice? I am a novice when it comes to fiberglass. You would use the color tint kit from Spectrum to do this?
Anyone have a photo of a patch they did on their boat?