Compass

Whazzup

Reaction score
Hello all gain and thanks for all the advice

Just launched :cool: and noticed the Ritchie compass is cockeyed and poorly responsive. There is a small bubble, too. I have 2018 Fisherman 216, and this is the first I noticed it. How can I fix that? There are a couple screws on the bottom, small screws. It is is in the dash pretty good, so it's not like I feel comfortable rotating it. I can't get to the back of the dash easily. Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it’s a 2018 boat, it may still be under warranty. Have you asked a dealer?

If it’s not, you will likely need to remove it, install it properly, then have it “compensated”.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Where you at? Google Ritchie and see if they will either swap it out or send you a new one. I got a bubble with my 4 year old 282 many moons back and I got a new one for a replacement.

seasick

Reaction score
First check that you didn't put something metallic near it. It may be magnetic interference.
If not and the bubble is indeed small, it sounds like the compass is bad. That can be due to a few things but one somewhat common is that one of the compensators came loose. You can't fix that yourself.

If you turned any of those small screws you may have messed up the adjustment of the compensators .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it's out of warranty, I'd still send it back to Ritchie and let them fix it back to factory specs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I went to their Pembroke MA office and they just swapped it out, again years ago. I'd call the office direct and see if they can help you out.

Whazzup

Reaction score
Dealer says 1 year warranty on boat but good idea to call Grady. Ritchie website says 5 year warranty on their compass so I am within warranty.
Next question is how do I take it out? Can’t find a YouTube video on that.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can you get to the panel behind the dash? If so, it's probably held in place with either a plastic ring that screws onto the back of the compass, or a bracket with a couple of nuts and washers. Remove the bracket and disconnect the wiring and it should pop right out.