Considering a 190 Tournament

HTHM

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1987 GW 190 Tournament right now with a 1987 Yamaha 200 on the back.
When sounding the transom, it was great on the starboard side and all around the motor. when I got to the last third on the port side it started to thunk rather than bark. Everything else on the hull appears to be great but I do not want my desire for this boat to override sensible purchasing.
Is this a normal condition or have I found a transom on it's way out?
There is a speedometer wheel mounted on that side of the transom so that could be the culprit.

HTHM

Reaction score
"If you own a Grady White boat or thinking of purchasing a Grady, you have come to the right place. The forum is a place where Grady White owners and future owners can post their questions and experiences about Grady White boats. "

Apparently not. :confused:

Seriously members, I am looking to buy the last boat of my life right now and would appreciate your insight and advice.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Patience my friend. More will weigh in, just takes some time. If it is priced right and you really like the boat and you have sea trialed it, pay to have it surveyed by a professional. Post some pics of the boat too. I paid around $400 to have mine done, well worth the money. Good luck.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HTHM, There are guys on this forum that have actually replaced transom core themselves and will no doubt chime in on what exactly it entails. In the mean time, I would just suggest to you that there are literally hundreds of 190 tournaments around. A boat that small is easily and economically transported so I feel that you shouldn't feel any obligation to stick with that particular one. Down the road a ways or around the corner next week will be another one that won't have that problem(if indeed your suspicions are correct) so keep looking for one without serious problems. JM2CW

seasick

Reaction score
If the transom goes from a decent thud to a hollow noise and that condition occurs over an area larger than let's sat 6 inches, you probably have delamaination. Tapping in itself can't detect a simple wet transom so it isn't a prefect test BUT it can detect a serious condition.
Also, I might add that the hull is over 30 years old and there will be other areas of concern like gas tank, wiring, cabling etc.
Hulls that age are often project boats meaning there is work to be done and maybe even before you get to use it. It could be a good boat and a good deal but do yourself a favor and look at more boats. It helps you to be able to make better decisions.

HTHM

Reaction score
The gas tank is being repaired as we speak by the seller, I knew that is a common problem with these hulls. Having replaced a transom in a Ranger Bass boat, I learned from that experience that it is a task I would prefer to never take on again.
As a result of my "sounding" the transom, I have made the decision to forgo this particular boat and carry on with the search. I will be visiting the classifieds here daily.
There is something about the lines of these hulls that turns my crank in a big way.
@seasick It was the last 25% on the starboard side that did not sound as it should. There was an intermittent fault with the tachometer as well, no big deal - bad ground I would suspect. I was really hoping that I had found a diamond in the rough. *sigh*
This the boat: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...nt/1458671065?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Fishtales

Reaction score
A 32 year hull is going to have problems. You likely will have to address the transom. Get a survey and some estimates to replace.