Cool looking new product from Garmin - Garmin GPSMAP 943xsv

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This morning I got an email from BOE Marine and they listed some new products available, one of which is from Garmin and I must say it looks pretty decent, especially for the price. I sold my previous boat a couple weeks ago that I'd owned for over 3 years but before I did, I was looking at possibly upgrading my considerably old, outdated electronics/GPS. I've always been a Garmin fan and when researching before they had a couple different 8-9" touchscreen displays that were in the $1,000 range or they had 10"+ displays in the $2,500 but they didn't really have much in between. The problem with the cheaper 8-9" displays, imo, was that I wanted something slightly bigger than the 7608xsv but not spend over $2,500 just for the display for the 7610xsv/8610xsv. They also made/make a 942xs model but for some crazy reason it doesn't allow for sidevu sonar, unless I believe you buy a separate sonar box that's compatible. Which to me, it doesn't make much sense to spend over $1,000 just for the display and then I'm assuming several hundred more for the sonar box, as well as having to install more wires and so on. Now they've got a model called the 943xsv that just recently came out and it seems to be the best of both worlds in that it's a slightly bigger display at 9" diagonally and is pretty similar spec wise when compared to the 7610xsv/8610xsv, although the screen resolution is slightly less because it's a smaller screen. Yet it also has the sidevu sonar option, which the previous 942xs models didn't have, as well as having traditional, chirp and clearvu sonar technology. The specs, from what I've seen or researched, seem very similar to the 7610xsv. Although, like I said, it's a slightly smaller screen at 9" compared to 10" and the resolution will of course be slightly less. That being said, it retails at over $1,000 less than the 7610xsv/8610xsv at only $1,399, which makes it very competitive in the low to low-mid priced multi-function display category. In my opinion, and I don't have any affiliation with Garmin or anyone else, it seems like a very good option for those looking for all of the above options yet want to spend less than $2,000 for a MFD. That, and I love specs and geeking out on numbers and so on and so forth. Anyway, long story short... just thought I'd mention it to those maybe looking for a winter project or that want to upgrade their old electronics. Best of all, it comes with Bluechart G3 and Lakevu G3 already installed free of charge.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
funny, I have been trolling the web for info on all things Garmin. They have so many models and sub-models and sub-sub models...its dizzying.

I used the Garmin site to compare side by side specs. There always seems to be one thing that I want from one that is not available in the other.

I zeroed in on a 1242xsv or 1042xsv. It has a knob and buttons (I like!), it supports radar, it has G3 charts, built-in 1kw chirp and sidevu....BUT the sonar is single band 1kw which is a deal breaker.
Why is it the ONLY model like that? Why would you dummy down a model?

edit: I have since tried out the touchscreen version of 1242xsv and I love it. Bought the 1242xsv Touch Plus ....no more knobs for me...

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t know very much about sonar but per the Garmin site it says the 1242xsv is “Dual-Frequency (50/200KHZ) Sonar Capable” as well as “Duam-Beam (77/200KHZ) Sonar Capable”. I know that the 1242xsv series of MFD’s is older and likely has fewer features than the newer ones. If you’re looking for something newer that has buttons you might want to look at the Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don’t know very much about sonar but per the Garmin site it says the 1242xsv is “Dual-Frequency (50/200KHZ) Sonar Capable” as well as “Duam-Beam (77/200KHZ) Sonar Capable”. I know that the 1242xsv series of MFD’s is older and likely has fewer features than the newer ones. If you’re looking for something newer that has buttons you might want to look at the Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv
ya thats tricky because you can connect a black box sonar so its "Capable"

Echomaps are not MFDs they cannot display radar.

I should probably start a thread on everything I've learned so far....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Skunkboat - I'm going thru all this now for my upgrade. I saw you posted over there. I'll update my thread with the latest.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I just found this thread today. I arrived at the 943xvs after a lengthy conversation with Garmin yesterday. I was told it's their newest offering and that's why it compares so favorably to the existing units. Last year i was considering the 7610 but this unit has everything that did at $1k less. It's networkable, radar capable, CV, SV, Chirp.
I'll be doing an in hull G-15 so will wait a while to install. Can always add the SV later.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a 943xsv overhead and GT51M-TH last month. Using them now in FL. Kept my 4210 at the helm for navigation.

Excellent unit. Supports one transducer of several types. I also got the g3 chart chip with includes shaded relief view which brings out detail of areas I have fished but didn't know existed. Also screen capture on my iPad with Active Captain. This shot is in 17 feet of water. Shaded relief vs fishing chart waypoint 0004. So far I haven't really tested the SideVu and DownVu sonar capabilities to comment.

IMG_0113.jpeg IMG_0116.jpeg

I do like the 8612xsv over the 1243xsv as a possible replacement for my 4210. Yes it is last years model but it supports more transducer and network ports and screen resolution is significantly higher. The x43 series are a great value but the 86xx does have more.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just found this thread today. I arrived at the 943xvs after a lengthy conversation with Garmin yesterday. I was told it's their newest offering and that's why it compares so favorably to the existing units. Last year i was considering the 7610 but this unit has everything that did at $1k less. It's networkable, radar capable, CV, SV, Chirp.
I'll be doing an in hull G-15 so will wait a while to install. Can always add the SV later.

That’s one of the many things I like about the 943xvs is that it has a lot of the same features that the other more expensive units have yet it’s a 9” screen and is in between the 7608 and 7610/8610 in terms of pricing. Which is crazy because the 7608 is only around $1k but then when you move up to the 7610/8610 it bumps up the price to around $2500. Which to me is crazy because the slightly larger screen size doesn’t seem like it justifies the extra $1500 spent. But the 943xsv is only $1399 and is $1k less than the 7610/8610 and I would much rather save the extra $1k and put it towards radar or something else that I’ll actually use. When I get another boat, this will likely be the MFD that I get, unless something better comes out before then, which with technology, that’s always possible.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I also have been following to upgrade my older 740s. Pricing seems good for what it offers.Garmin has a good support system in place.
One thing i need to find out is if current transducer will be comatable. It sure would be nice to flush mount.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also have been following to upgrade my older 740s. Pricing seems good for what it offers.Garmin942 has a good support system in place.
One thing i need to find out is if current transducer will be comatable. It sure would be nice to flush mount.

Any idea what model your current transducer is? Here’s a link to transducers that should work with the 943xsv.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Not real sure ,I know Airmar thru hull .Need to get in boat &check. thank you for the link.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Transducer should be fine. Cables are usually tagged probably near the transducer. The 943xsv ships with an adaptor cable - 12 pin orange to 8 pin.

Consider installing a new chirp transducer at some point since the unit supports it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Indeed. And with a brand new MFD, I'd probably splurge a couple hundred dollars and get a new transducer anyway, since it's all brand new tech.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Nothing is more frustrating as being a consumer of electronics. In February of 2020 I bought the latest 9 inch model from Garmin , the 942xs Plus. It had an upgraded processor and is faster than 942 xs , a port to connect directly to my Yamaha and there was something else to it. In 8 short months the 943 comes out . Ugh . When I bought my radar I was about 8 months too early there too. I could have bought the phantom doppler one had I waited. lol. I like the 942 xs plus and I am sure I would like the 943 as well..

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Yup you have a good point there. It makes good sense to update the transducer also. Yes Bob I almost pulled trigger for the 942 xs plus. Thats a nice unit also, you will enjoy.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup you have a good point there. It makes good sense to update the transducer also. Yes Bob I almost pulled trigger for the 942 xs plus. Thats a nice unit also, you will enjoy.

I’ve never understood that about the 742/942 models. Why in the world would you have clearvu and traditional chirp but then not have sidevu? I know some people probably don’t need the sidevu or just don’t care if they have it or not. That being said, it seems odd why they would have it in some models but not in others, especially when they are very similar in terms of pricing. I honestly am not sure if I’d use the sidevu much, but if I bought a brand new MFD, I’d want it with all the bells and whistles just in case.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup very confusing. Garmin makes the Striker Sounder only that has all the sounder bells and whistles for an affordable price. It has, DV, Chirp, Side View and comes in several sizes. I just upgrade from a Striker 5 DV to a Striker 7 Plus SV so now have Side View and a bigger screen, wifi and it makes it's own custom topo charts w/ 1' contours.

It was $379 refurbished with Transducer! Normally $499. I wasn't impressed with the new VIVID version that has 9 more colors.

I have an older Garmin 741 XS for mapping and radar. The GPS Map radar compatible units are expensive to upgrade as you mention above! So if you have room for a 2nd screen, you could get the nice Garmin Sonar at an affordable price.

Striker 7 SV Vivid.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I was going to keep my old Arima that I sold, I was thinking about upgrading to Garmin electronics on it last summer. Luckily, I sold the boat and didn't spend un-needed money on it and am also glad that I waited for something like this to come out because I figured it was only a matter of time before they came out with a new product that incorporated everything together and for less money. It seems to me like this product is a win/win for those that don't need a 10"+ screen.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been testing my new 943xsv and GT51M-TH in Florida for the last few weeks. The chartplotter has some interesting feature discussed above.

With the SideVu I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Looks like an ink blot to me! Tried changing scale in deep water too.

ClearVu is ok but I had expected to see more detail vs. my GSD24 w/M260 transducer (still installed so I can compare).