Cost to replace fuel tank

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure of the capacity on yours, but I just replaced my main tank on a 228. Worked out to approximately $10/gallon ($900 total). I did the install, so there was no labor cost.
Good luck!

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like Leeccoll above...I replaced the main tank in my 24 offshore a few years back.....93 gal capacity....a fabricator made it up for me for 1K and I installed it myself.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank.jpg
    Fuel Tank.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 41

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just ordered my new main tank for my 228 from FMT. 92 gallons, Macropoxy coated, OEM specs, shipped to my door for $1864. Labor is free since I'm doing the work. Tank was $1564, coating $200, shipping $100.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When I replaced the fuel tank in my Mako 230, I used Sunshine Marine tanks in FL. For a 120g it was right about $1200 with coal tar epoxy and Shipped to Mass. Installed myself. They were great to deal with.

Ratical

Reaction score
I replaced mine in my 24 offshore. I had a metal fabricator build my tank for approx $800. I cleaned it applied marine epoxy then foamed it in. Total for the job was around $1200 90 gal tank. The labor was on me!!!

MrD

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I replaced mine in my 24 offshore. I had a metal fabricator build my tank for approx $800. I cleaned it applied marine epoxy then foamed it in. Total for the job was around $1200 90 gal tank. The labor was on me!!!
Those of you that did this job, can you lift the tank out yourself or did you need to use a boom or pulley system?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Patriot Marine in south Jersey fabricated a 60 gal tank for me at around $600. Your in south jersey too so you owe it to yourself to at least call Paul and see what he’d charge you. I am 100% confident about recommending him.
Keep in mind the probability of replacing all the fuel lines which may include the inlet hose. Double clamps on every connection. The top of the line clamps will run $5+ each. Fuel lines, cockpit drains, livewell lines, all those spell disaster if they fail. Don’t ignore them and don’t go cheap. You can’t on those. That all comes to about another $200.
All the wood bracing around and over the tank were replaced with Azek plastic board from Home Depot. It won’t absorb water or rot.
I also sealed the surfaces that came in direct contact with the tank so it wouldn’t trap water.

Last edited:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Those of you that did this job, can you lift the tank out yourself or did you need to use a boom or pulley system?
The tank itself is light but Grady makes it like some kind of twisted joke in that the opening above the tank on mine was just about an inch to small to let the tank thru.
I ended up filling it with water twice to flush it then let a leaf blower air it out for a while.
A little more confident I removed any fumes I used a sawsall and cut the tank in half. It then lifted right out. They don’t weigh very much.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I was just reading thru my boats manual (‘87) and found this....
F75BB650-5487-4CF3-B509-CD7CEB08059B.jpeg
If your boat is an older model like mine it is likely that all the fuel lines installed by Grady were not yet rated for use with alcohol blended fuels. Replacing them is a must do.
Below is an extreme example Of what damage alcohol can do to a line not rated for it. This is what I found. It is the line off the sending unit in my Grady. I saved it and have it hung on the wall in my barn. ;)
D606C02C-E76F-45CC-BCF8-FCD1CCF7ACF4.jpeg